What's new
What's new

Oil sight glass for vertical head on Maho

akb1212

Aluminum
I have now successfully disassembled the vertical head of my 1990 Maho MH600E. Thanks to Sneebot for getting me the drawings of the head. I have made a Soldiworks model of it now, and will post that soon if anyone is interested.

Anyway, I have found 2 possible sources for the oil leak I had. One of them is the o-ring on the swivel in the back of the head. That will not be a problem to replace.

But the oil sight glass on the right hand side of the vertical head is probably also leaking. When I took it out I found it to be broken in 3 pieces, only held together by the o-ring around it.

And to my great disappointment this is a press fit type sight glass. Not a screw in type as used at least 99% of the time. So searching for it online isn't giving me any results. I have been able to find a VERY limited number of press fit sight glasses. But none of them is even closely matched in size to the one I have. The bore in my head is 22 mm, but the closest ones I can find are for 20 or 26 mm bore.

Does anyone have a clue on where to the correct ones? I expect others to need this part as well. I know my friend with an 800 also have a leaking head, and expect this to be one possible source of leak on his machine as well.

I guess it's possible to make my own. It would be some work though, which I would prefer to use on other things if possible. But I wasn't expecting this to be such a difficult part to get.

Anders

Back