What's new
What's new

Opinions on DMG Mori CMX 1100 V ?

Weasel

Aluminum
Management is looking at purchasing a new DMG Mori CMX 1100 V mill.
There are 5 machines of this brand on the floor now, all relatively new, so
we are familiar with the service side and have been happy so far.

Do any of you guys have any experience with this particular model ?
If so, please let me know what you think.

Management is looking at purchasing a new DMG Mori CMX 1100 V mill.
There are 5 machines of this brand on the floor now, all relatively new, so
we are familiar with the service side and have been happy so far.

Do any of you guys have any experience with this particular model ?
If so, please let me know what you think.

Do you ever talk to David Sulak at Triad / DMG Mori Denver / CO.(if he's still there ?) .

He knows a number of folks that he sold the CMX 1100V mill to that ARE happy with them and he really didn't like some of the bad Eco line machines (there were some good transitional ones). David (if he's still there) is very much - very loyal to the Mori Seiki "Idea" and part of the business but seems to connect well on the DMG side also for larger 5 axis machines in good way.

The things I've been hearing locally are very positive BUT I'm at least 18 months out of date, so maybe check in with those guys to see if any new problems have emerged ? Or whether the CMX 1100 is still being a solid performer ?

Always found David S to be really straight up and honest about stuff.

I believe there is a newer 5 axis DD type mini knukle-trunnion (cantilevered) unit that can be installed on a CMX 1100 V (4+1).

The DDRT 4th axis units are very accurate also (like reliably less than 5 arc seconds if not over torqued).

At least you might be able to hunt down who in CO is running the CMX 1100 V's 'cuz it's always a combination of local support + machine. But seems @Weasel you seem to be doing well with DMG Mori so far ?

Not sure how "Management" and chain of command works on your ship ?

Sorry I don't have one as for our applications the machine is well designed but still kinda light weight / low mass + kinda spendy for what it is by about $30K to $40K but the DDRT units are super awesome. (That's just our needs etc.).

Addition / "Errata"

DMG mori newer 5axis trunion for CMX V.jpg

^^^ Seems DMG mori have a new /newer 5 axis (table mountable) unit that's not the mini knuckle unit but an actual trunnion that can be used as 4th axis (presumably) C axis can tilt 90 degrees so its rotary axis is parallel with the X axis of the table.

The CMX 1100 V has a lot of extra table so having the "Arse" of the 5 axis unit hang off the table (as depicted above) in the pic seems it could be pretty good and not take up too much valuable table real-estate.

~ Also noteworthy 20,000 RPM spindle !

I know folks have been asking for that for some time as it used to be that 12K rpms was pretty much all you could get.

AND now also a 15K rpm option.

Have no idea how long the 20,000 rpm option has been going for ?

Nice option for Heidenhain control (if that's your "bag")/ good 3d collision checking.

Not sure if scales are an option or not but they seem to advertise "Ball-screws made in first class of tolerances (IT 1)"

Need to dig further about thermal compensation...

Pulled the trigger on the CMX 1100 last week. We added scales, HP pump, and pimped it out with the usual goodies. Also got the DDRT 4th axis, since we have been very pleased with his older brother on our 1035 ECO.
One of the main factors was the great service we have got over the years.
Most of the crew is still there including my buddy Dave Sulak.

I don't have any direct experience owning a CMX1100, but one thing that really stood out for me were the steep way covers, around 45-degrees.

Chip evac is a problem with a lot of verticals and the CMX seems to handle it better than most.

Glad to hear the Triad folks are doing well.

Back