What's new
What's new

Potentially Huge Problem - need post

Bones288

Plastic
Hello,

I've recently won a 98' CV500a at auction so that I could get out of the makerspace and start making my parts on my own time and gear. But I'm only JUST now realizing that there might not be a post processor for my CAM software!

My parts are very complicated and there are many part 'families' to design for (and fixtures) so if I need to program bulk parts by hand then I'll need to rethink things.

Is there anyone here that is familiar with using any machine from the MORI CV line that I can ping on? Or does anyone have a post for Inventor?

Thanks

LOL 'Interesting' is a great descriptor. I'm going to be running small parts (~100/pallet) so the idea of manually programming all of the adaptive paths is daunting.
In other places, I put my 1/8" end mill at 3xD so slotting is out - more adaptive paths. I seriously don't want to use my 'new' machine as a trade-in for another machine before I've even turned it on. But it's not looking good. . . .

I wonder if I could upgrade the controller and then find/make a post?

You've not told us what your CAM software is, nor the specific controller in question, so you are unlikely to get focused answers to a fuzzy question !

Have you been in touch with the CAM software house to ask them what's available ?

Terrific point.

I use Inventor and was only able to find something generic and something called MELDAS, which I assumed was for a newer series of controllers.
But the guy I called at Mitsubishi Electric told me that the M64 controller, on my machine, IS MELDAS (or at least within the family).
So it's now likely that I'm back in action!

The CV500a is a very rare breed now (recalled as I understand). So if anyone still has one, or has experience with one, I'd seriously appreciate getting in touch.

You can buy a new Haas VF1 for under $42,000. Don't spend a fortune on getting this running.

SO far I'm in this for $10k and I've had too many ppl steer me away from Haas despite the fact that I'm almost walking distance from the factory. I'm betting on the MORI name. Fingers crossed.

If this was a Haas you would be making parts. With the Titans of cnc academy you have free training from the basics to fairly advanced parts all run on a Haas. I know $10,000 is a lot of money, but don't turn it into a $25,000 mistake.

Interested to see how this develops.

I suggest your base situation and problem would work with a haas post.
Then, working on spindle clearance, and endless stuff.

Do you have a real cam, and any experience using one ?

I've been using Inventor for about six or seven years and can make pretty much whatever I set my mind to but have dedicated myself to the launch product which comes in six tiny pieces. But no experience on a 'real' machine so I'm interested to see exactly how this develops too. :)

One issue I have is that my machine doesn't have any manuals and if I want some from Mori it'll cost me $1700 all in. So the info that I've received from some members here has been invaluable reading. One piece of info I'm after now is regarding the air supply requirements (waiting on Mori now). Since it'll be the only thing in the shop that needs air - upfront - I'm hoping to get by with a smaller (10gal), quieter compressor until I'm ready to put in some more lines for other things.

Your Mori with the Mitsu control is very code compatible with Fanuc style G and M codes. Tweaking a Generic Fanuc post to output code should be pretty easy if your CAM software allows that.

Toolchanges might require the most post mods. I'm not sure of the CV series toolchanging commands. I have a Mori TV30 which is somewhat similar to the CV500. In standard configuration it does not use the fairly universal M6 command to change tools. I installed a macro program on mine so that it does toolchange by M6. This allows me to use M6 Txx for my toolchange function. That format is similar to many CNCs and easily implemented in a CAM post providing that your CAM has post editing ability.

Back