What's new
What's new

Mori SL-1 Turret Shaft Bent? Not Indexing Properly.

Bill in PA

Hot Rolled
Hello,

The turret has a noticeable face runout during indexing (looking at the side of the turret, you can see it wobble as it goes around). Sometimes when it retracts, the coupling teeth clash on the flats and it does not completely index. Of course this puts the tool far off center and forward. The more lopsided the tools are, the more likely this will happen. It is somewhat random and not always the same tool. In the past, I have heard it clunk during a tool change, but it always fully completed the index.

I did have a crash during a tool change recently. Perhaps that crash pushed it over the edge? However, it did not knock the turret out of alignment.

I did clean off the proximity switches. I don't think there is an additional electrical problem. I think it is wear and or damage.

I don't have an exploded view of the turret. I have only ever had it apart far enough to change the alignment pins.

Anything I should know before continuing to diagnose and disassemble it?

I have a few jobs to finish on the lathe first. I am using the optional stop during tool changes to visually make sure the index is completed before continuing.

Thanks,

Bill

Not familiar with this lathe, but is there a way to E-stop, or otherwise halt turret indexing so that the turret is decoupled from the curvic coupling? If so (and make sure the machine is safe to recover later), check that there's no looseness in the turret on its pivot.

Also, you can try putting a precision angle level on the turret in the same place, and index it to each position doing the same "halt" inbetween each station. If the angle reading from the level changes as it goes through the midpoints of the stations, that's a pretty good clue that something is bent.

I'll look to see if I can do this. I can index it without the turret to see what the shaft is doing.

Thanks,

Bill

Ok- a little Wrustle humor there. If you look real close, there is a hanging bracket bolted on the top of the #3 tool block pad. Because the Mori enclosure sheetmetal prevents a direct lift of the turret, the bracket is "C" shaped to reach around the sheetmetal so you can lift the turret from above the enclosure.

Back