What's new
What's new

SL-25 rubber wipers

Johnhudson

Aluminum
Does anyone no what is the best kind of material I should make the wipers out of. ?

Thanks in advance.
John Hudson

Suggesting someone should use "Google" to find information is as useful as telling someone to open their eyes so they can see better.

The OP is asking what material to use for way wipers to MAKE them, not where to buy them. Having said that, the Dynatect website lists having some mori-seiki custom molded profiles already available so they may already have a solution for a SL-25.

Nitrile rubber and Polyurethane are common materials. Polyurethane is nice in that it can be cast into shapes relatively easily and the equipment investment required to do a good job is relatively low compared to other options.

I'm not sure what durometer is best for your application. Some factors which influence this are running dry without coolant most of the time or coolant most of the time. I think the wipers that run dry are typically harder. Hennig makes a wiper that is a multi-part system where the lip can be replaced. This is what was used on my Hitachi Seiki machines and it was fast and cheap to replace all the wipers with ones more suitable for the work I was doing. You may want to consider this route if you want flexibility later on. This was for the way cover wipers mind you, not the way wipers.

I've been trying to find a cost effective solution for replacement way wipers on my Daewoo Puma 12L lathe since the old molded ones literally disintegrated when I removed them. The price from Daewoo was high but unlike Dynatect and the Mori-Seiki ones they already make, no one seems to have the Doosan profiles on the shelf. One of these wiper manufacturers should though, there sure are a bunch of Doosan/Daewoo lathes out there worth maintaining!

Dave@Nerv

How do you like the SL-25? I'm looking at a late 90s model, just wondering about some opinions.

Back