What's new
What's new

Smart key levels

Panza

Stainless
Smart keys with access level 1 and 2 came with the machine. What more can you do with level 3 and 4 keys ? DMG doesn't seem to want to give/sell the 3/4 keys, any other way to get them ?

If yours is anything like mine you need 3 to be able to jog or do anything with the doors open.

If I remember right 4 has something to do with maintenance

Never used 2 personally just 1 and 3

With mine I have the 3 key and maintenance password and I don’t think I am restricted by anything.

We will see if I get what I want.
Still nothing new from DMG: More than 3 months from the machine was delivered and ready for install a lot of things are still missing.

So- based on that chart you own a machine that you can’t program or set tools? How have you used the machine so far?

So- based on that chart you own a machine that you can’t program or set tools? How have you used the machine so far?

Ya I’ve never used anything but level 4 key but my understanding is mode one is strictly push go, unload and reload part.

Ya I’ve never used anything but level 4 key but my understanding is mode one is strictly push go, unload and reload part.

I've only got level 2 at work, which allows access to damned near everything.

We have a level 3 key, which had to be ordered from DMG in Europe I believe. Never needed to use it.

I've only got level 2 at work, which allows access to damned near everything.

We have a level 3 key, which had to be ordered from DMG in Europe I believe. Never needed to use it.

So it’s not actually restrictive like the manuals say?

What about programming? Are you able to do that? Edit programs? Change rpm or feed?

It’s been a few months since I’ve read up on this in the operators manual, but I thought with key #1 you could hand the machine over to an unskilled operator or new guy and he would not be able to alter the program, tool data, offsets, or parameters. Maybe even not be able to use mdi or jog mode.

And then with key #2 being a step up you can load a different program and perhaps touch off tools.

I might find our keys and try out the different ones next week.

So far there has not been anyone running the machine that cannot be trusted with full access. But I can imagine a few scenarios where it would be a useful option. For training, or if an operator seems to consistently make unsafe edits.

It could be handy someday to show a new guy the cycle start button and how to load the part then let him get familiar with how the machine works before introducing him to a million different ways he can scrap a part or wreck an expensive new machine.

After much trouble it seems I can buy the key with the right access. I'll try to get it included.
Also trying to get the machine door interlock fixed.

Hello folks, I’ve been working DMG machine many years.
So far as the control keys please see the 2nd chapter of your Operator Manual for complete description, also to explain the I, II, III, IIII mode buttons under key slot. The two should not be confused on operation.
Nevertheless, the key I is new operator, III for trained operator. “Master” Key IIII is for clearing all but 2000 time compliance inspections and on CELOS for setting up Ethernet connection to your company network.
There is an “Inspection” key available issued only after attending DMG MORI Inspection course. The coveted “SERVICE” key is DMG MORI engineers ONLY.
To those that always want the highest level access, read up on latest safety reports where people are seriously injured or killed by bypassing safety or access locks.
Feel free to contact me for any DMG related service issue.

I haven't touched a machine with Celos, but we have couple DMG Moris with Ergoline/Siemens 840D at work.

We use the Smart keys with key mode 2. This allows use of operator mode 1 and 2. 1 is used for running the machine with the doors closed and mode 2 is for jogging the machine slowly with the doors open.

Access level 4 is standard with this key and allows everything except changing parameters etc.. We unlock access level 6 with a password when needed. (this might be a Siemens thing)

We have to use an "Inspection key" for clearing maintenance notes. Service training from DMG is required before you can buy one.

The Celos might be different.

Tried the level 4 key of a tech and you could do no more moving. Probably could change more settings or something but that is not so interesting. Wish I knew someone who could hack into the ladder and modify it..

Im tryng to buy a key to clear the 2000 hours alarm, but I´m not sure if it´s a level 4 key or just an inspection key, what else are you allowed to do with that access level that you´re not allowed with the manufacturer password.
thanks.

In order to reset your 2k maintenance counter you need a registered service key and code that only DMG has. You can also take a course and receive a smart key that will allow you to reset this.

Smart keys with access level 1 and 2 came with the machine. What more can you do with level 3 and 4 keys ? DMG doesn't seem to want to give/sell the 3/4 keys, any other way to get them ?
You can buy a Level 5 Smartkey from DMG. They are only $400. It sets the access level of the lower keys from 1 to 4. Level 6 is only for DMG Service Technicians.

Back