What's new
What's new

Y offset on Mori Seiki SL150 lathe not working on turn tools

scott312

Plastic
Can anyone help with getting Y offset on Mori Seiki SL150 lathe with a Fanuc control (I believe it is a 18i) to work on turn tools. The Y offsets or geometry sets work fine with milling. I want to adjust the Y axis center lines for turn tools and when teaching other stationary tools (i.e. drills, boring bars, etc.). If the machine is not at Y0. it alarms. I was able to get the machines with Mitsubishi controls to work by changing parameter 6424.2 & 6424.7 to 1 to fix Y offsets/geometry and touch probing off of Y0., but struggling on the machine with a Fanuc control.

scott312,

As far as I know you cannot have Y-Axis at any other position than G28 Home when in turning mode.
If you are leaving material in the center and are too high or too low with the tool height, the best option is to align the turret. If that does not solve the problem then the X-Axis rails need adjusted.
Only other option after turret is aligned it to modify the tooling either by using shim stock (if too low) or milling the bottom of tool holders(if too high.

Thanks for the reply Shop 4. I understand what you are offering up and understand this is an option. I was able to fix the Mitsubishi controlled Mori's, I have heard that there is an option to fix the Fanuc's to do what I am asking, but not sure if it is just changing a parameter or if goes into ladder logic or something like a software update. Still looking for help if anyone else has a solution.

Back