What's new
What's new

1996-1999 Agie2 Classic...

I don't have a Classic but i do have a Agie Challenge, and trained on a submerged classic.I have to say the support from Agie has been good,maintence is straight forward and easy.The control is very powerful but there are things in newer versions that would make things easier at times(my machine is a 02). If the machine is priced right i would buy one to replace may Sodick in a heart beat.I wish i could tell you more but i can't. One thing which i don't know if it was available on those years but probing option is the cats meow on Agies.Also be ready to take one up the tailpipe for parts, that is one thing Sodick is better at.Later Jason.

Last edited:
Jay I have one about that vintage. I dont think its a classice though. Sitting out back of my shop. Are you buying one?

If the machine is priced right i would buy one to replace may Sodick

Heh not trying to defend my Sodick a320 just interested as to why .

Challenge was always my dream machine :)

Isnt the classic a taiwanese machine underneath where as the challenge is the less kitted out real thing , not that it means it is a bad machine just not the real macoy :D

Cheers Kev

G-Auto,
Yup!!!
Getting a great deal.
About time right??
I wasted too much time looking for that 330F.
There is no way you're able to hold the tolerances you need held with keeping that machine "out back of my shop".
What gives???

demoj21,
This one doesn't have the probing option.
I have heard good things about that feature on Agies as well.
Think this one is just a bit too old...

All,
I'm mostly interested in the control.
OS2 based???...
Someone told me that's what they think it is...
I have no clue what that means.
I'm assuming it's conversational??

Classic

Hi!
Just my 2 cents:
The classic is not a taiwanese machine, it was built in Switzerland.
For sure 1996-1999 means that it's still a OS/2 machine (which simply means that the operating system is not Microsoft Windows XP like the newer machines but IBM OS/2; HMI is Agievision).
Ciao!
Reto

Jay,

I also looked for a year for a 330F, before buying my Agie Challenge,there is 5 of them within 40 miles of me, and the travels are hard to beat.After runnning my Agie i think i made the right decision.If you buy the machine Peps cam software is the best for Agie as far as i can tell,and a must have, and Keith Davis has been good to deal with on support for Peps.

Kev H.

My sodick is a older machine and support has been terrible.I think Sodick has improved there support big time on there newer machines however.

G Auto, if Jay is not interested what machine do you have,and how much?

Later Jason.

The classic is not a taiwanese machine, it was built in Switzerland.

Who knows but if so how come it is so much cheaper and what is lacking on compared to Challenge .

Also they brought it out around the time of all the release of all the ACT Spark gear ( Agie /Charmilles /Taiwan ;) ) so a little suspect.

Challenge would definately give a go, Classic not so sure would probably stick with sodick :)

Cheers Kev :cheers:

The Challenge is a much heavier casting then the classic, Challenge is a more accurate machine, guessing that means more accurate ballscrews,and larger ball screws. The machine is submerged and the work tank on the challenge is motorized up and down, i think it is standard to have a probe on the Challenge,and also robot ready.The Classic is a entry level machine, the Challenge is the middle level machine(i think).It has been awhile since i have seen a Classic so going off of memory. I still would take a Classic over a Sodick of the same class. However the poor support from Sodick is the biggest reason for that not the machine.Later Jason.

Jason,

I think its an Agie Sprint? I am not sure as we have it blanketed and tarped up. I bought it hoping I could set it up to run one part on it but the machine is pretty big. Too big for our shop. I can't squeeze it in. I think it only has 1300 hrs on it. 6k located near Philly.

G-auto, thanks for the reply, was hoping it was a newer control machine.

Jay Cee any update did you get the Agie machine.Later Jason.

Didn't get it...
It ended up going for $14,900.
Worth it I'm told, but a bit out of my price range...

I'm a firm believer that everything happens for a reason.
I'm chalking this one up to that.
Better things have come down the pipe-line.

There is one curiosity to that machine's story though..
Perhaps it should be a separate thread, but this one is already started and I'm just stealing my own thread anyhow.

When I went down to look at the machine, a couple of older guys were walking out.
I'm a bit of a chatter-box, so I said "Hi" to them.
Asked them if they were here looking at the machines for sale.
Then asked if they were here looking at the Wire EDM.
The one guy said, "I don't even know what you're talking about."
I didn't notice anything, but my girlfriend said he had an attitude.
I assumed his reply meant that he didn't know what a Wire EDM was and therefore wasn't there to look at it.
When I got into the machinery and met my contact, I asked if there was a lot of interest in the WEDM.
He said that myself and the guys who just left were the only ones who seemed very interested.
I described the guys I just met to confirm it was them...
It was...

Now I know we aren't here to discuss psychology, and I know that people do things that aren't explainable, so I'll ask if there is any tactical advantage to this lie?
I don't go to a lot of auctions and haven't learned all the tricks (if there are any) to winning stuff lower.
The only trick I can even think of would be to do the exact opposite of what they did.
To tell everyone I am VERY interested in the machine and am willing to pay a price that's more than the value...
What does acting like you're not interested do??
Lull me to slip come bidding time??
Or were these guys just jerks who were bummed out and had a first reaction to lie??

Hi they are non submerged, very good machine in the right hands, I used to work for Agie for many years, if you need training let me know.

president

Anyone got one?
Pros and cons please?
I am aware that it's a non-submerged...
Any input is appreciated...

My name is Gene. I have 1 of the oldest classic 2 machine, serial number 0014. its an awesome machine, however now I need service. Is the someone out there that can service these older machines. IM DESPERATE. Im located in upstate NY

Back