What's new
What's new

2005 Charmilles WEDM.... what is the sheet metal above the control all about ?

Possibly part of the controls, the Sodick AG600L machines I run have 2 HUGE control cabinets full of electronics on them.

Just ask the guy selling it for a couple pics inside.

I wouldn't guess chiller as that would be the absolute worst place for one. Perhaps it has optional power boards.

Looks ridiculous whatever it is.

Possibly part of the controls, the Sodick AG600L machines I run have 2 HUGE control cabinets full of electronics on them.
Image searches for sisterships same model/similar year don't have the box on top. Agree chiller location highly unlikely due to vibration and possible leakage disaster. Seller too lame to check it out further. I suppose if I was more serious about buying it maybe I could talk him into periscope pictures of the innards, but mostly just a WTF curiosity.

Maybe has a small independent Air Dryer ? I see what looks like a drain tube coming out of it in the one pic.

It has my curiosity now

Well shiit, now I got curious....
Is it possible that it's a step-up transformer?
The label says 400V, and if you try to zoom-in on image#3, you see that there are wires going up from the main control cabinet.
Though it isn't too clear, it almost looks like that the wires from the mains switch are also going up there.

I know Makino makes all of their wire EDM-s with one single voltage no matter what, and always supply the appropriate external transformer to suit.
Perhaps Charmilles is/was the same? But then again, if similar models did not have it then ....

To many what's missing,where is it and what's that.
Its out of service for a good and expensive reason.
The missing lower wire chopper....$7000.00 Any bad boards $10,000.00+.
That been my experience.
Just my best guess, it's now a parts machine.

Back