What's new
What's new

416 X Servo Alarm

Krispee

Plastic
Hi.
We run a Sykes Fanuc W1 Wire Eroder, quite an old machine now but still very much used. Last night I ran a job overnight but in the morning when I looked at it the machine was showing a 416 X Servo Alarm and the job (a multi repeated job which runs about 30 in a row) had run off at an angle in the X direction. This has never happened before, either the run off or the alarm. I had to shut it off, which cleared the alarm, but when I tried to move the machine out of the way it ran very oddly in X. It sounded odd, kind of clicks but with a slight groan. I took the skirts off and there didn't seem to be any issue with the guides the machine runs on, enough grease there. Whenever I try and move X axis I get the sound and then it alarms out with the 416. One of the guys thought it might be the servo itself, maybe some slack in the coupling between the ballscrew and the servo.

Any ideas?

Regards.
Kris.

Kris,

Not super familiar with that machine, but I assume the axis motor has brushes for the drive section and the tachometer section. Probably 4 for the drive and 2 for the tach (probably slightly smaller). Power off machine, remove motor, pull brushes (marking wires and locations), blow-out motor brush and tach brush ports gently (don't breath in that dust...nasty), replace or reinstall brushes, reinstall motor.
The drifting of axis is probably the tach. The noise is probably the drive.

First make sure the there are no slugs, dings or bends in the seal plate, dirt build up that is effecting axis movement, crinkled or jammed baffles, etc.

Jay Crumb
Advanced EDM, LLC
[email protected]

Hi Jay.
Thanks for your reply.
We have actually removed the X axis servo motor and sent it away to be tested and then repaired if needed. I've checked most of the cabling from the motor to the cabinet, all looks ok. The screw hasn't got any worn bearings so that's fine.
There is a company dedicated to repairing all kinds of motors and specialize in servo motors, so thought it best to let them have it.

Well, after the company we sent the drive to examined it they found that the encoder had died, so they replaced it. It is now installed and working perfectly. Just thought I would let you know.

Back