What's new
What's new

Adding a probe to a Fanuc Wire edm

zosotd

Aluminum
What do I need to add a probe to a Fanuc Wire EDM?

The control has the Probing built in.

I have seen the Renishaw LP2 probe used.

What else is needed to make it work?

Yes, I know they make a kit you can buy but I think it is way too expensive.

zosotd,

You will need to purchase this option from the machine tool OEM, as this requires more than just the Probe hardware. There will a specialized interface that is required to establish communication between the Probe and the Machine Control, and special machine software might also be needed.

Makino also offers a Probe option for our Wire EDM's, and this option includes the Probe Hardware and machine Interface components. Makino uses the higher accuracy Renishaw MP250 Probe system which provides 2D and 3D pick-up capabilities (X/Y - just like picking up the part with the wire, and Z-Axis for 3D Leveling of the work piece).

-BrianHyper-i Probe 2.jpg

Brian,
How popular is a probing option with Makino? I have a hard time trying to justify the cost and value. My operators are really good with a magnetic base and indicator and the wire as a center / edge finder. Is it intended for a less skilled operator? We don't have problems picking up parts, not sure how a probe would benefit us.

RJT,

We do not see many customer's using the Probe on the Wire EDM's. From a technical stance, the Probe system is more accurate/repeatable and the measurements are influenced less by debris/burrs on the part, but it’s also hard to beat a seasoned toolmaker that knows what they are doing! :)

From my point of view, using the Probe system is not for the lower skilled operator, as most might not appreciate the difference between crashing a $200 Dial Indicator vs. a $10,000 Probe! I do see one application on Wire EDM where a Probe is a MUST HAVE, which is machining of custom Milling cutting tools. In this type of application, a C-Axis is used on the WEDM to rotate and position the cutting tool, and the Probe is a tremendous help in Setup to establish the proper cutting face position and clocking of the C-Axis, and there are special screens on the Hyper-i control dedicated to this type of work (Tool Machining Package).

There is one other attractive feature that a Probe system might provide depending on make/model of your machine, which would be 3D Leveling of the Work Piece. With this process, the Probe is used to capture several points on the top of the work piece to establish a Z-Axis Plane. The machine will then crunch some numbers and calculate a U/V Axis offset that makes the U/V perpendicular with the Work Piece conditions. This is a handy function to have that can save a lot of Setup time, especially for large and heavy parts.

Makino has developed a standard 3D Plane Find function for the Hyper-i control, and this works with the optional Probe system, but also works with a Dial Indicator and Mag-base that every shop will have. Using the Indicator, you will drive the machine manually to (x3) different locations on top of the part and use the [Capture] buttons at the different locations. If the work piece is not flat on top (say a large mold cavity), the 3D Plane Find function has provisions to perform the same type of Setup capturing (x4) points (2 Points on 2 Sides of the part). Below are (x2) video links of the 3D Plane Find function and Probe system…

3D Plane Find Function: YouTube

3D Probe System: YouTube

- Brian

Back