What's new
What's new

Agie HSS 150 wiring question

jwatts

Hot Rolled
Can anyone tell me whether the generator cabinet needs to be connected to main power separately or if it receives power via the control cabinet?

Thank you very much. That is what I was told by the seller, but the existence of L1, L2, and L3 connections in the base of the generator cabinet had me second guessing that.

The logic that decides if line condition is proper to power up the machine is in the control cabinet (voltage correct and all 3 phases within certain parameters). Nothing powers until those initial checks are done (unfortunately, the reason I'm aware of this is because I had a component in the control cabinet go bad, and nothing would power).

PM

I've got some looking to do then. The control cabinet comes on and boots up, but the light on the generator cabinet doesn't come on.

My first instinct is to tell you to make sure that the generator, the machine tool and the control cabinet are all connected back to the mains cabinet (on the water reservoir), and that once the mains are connected and energized, there are several contactors (one each on the control and gen. plus a couple more on the mains panel) that must be pressed.

For a far more in-depth explanation, PM member(and all around good guy)Larry McNamee contributes to the 'Vintage Q&A' in EDM Today Magazine - check out his tips on installing an older AGIE here:

Vintage QA_Fall12.indd

Vintage QA_Winter13.indd

Vintage QA_Spring13.indd

Vintage QA_Summer13.indd

Dan

Hi Dan, the power connections on an HSS do not go through the DA unit you are thinking of an MMD machine.
J watts, The power is connected in the dark grey cabinet attached to the right side of the CF unit. there should be a cable with 4 conductors (3 phase and gnd. this cable connects to the l1-l3 connections in the generator and the other side connects to the bottom left of the dark grey portion of the CF unit. the cable itself is shielded make sure you connect the shielding as well as the gnd.

Hey agieman, sorry for the late reply, I've been out of town. I'm not sure I'm completely following. Main power is connected to the control cabinet. There is the large cable bundle coming out of the top of the generator cabinet connected to the machine itself, and one or two (I'll have to check tomorrow) smaller cable bundles connecting the generator and control cabinet. However, there is nothing connected to the terminals labeled L1-L3 in the bottom of the generator cabinet.

the large bundle at the top of the generator are the spark cables and reference lines. on the bottom are 3 holes for 3 cables 2 from CD cabinet and 1 from machine tool. the CD cabinet cables are power and fibre optic for data exchange. the fibre optic have black boxes attached to the ends.

Thank you very much. I turns out I was missing power cable between the control cabinet and the generator but that has now been remedied.

Does the work tank have to be filled for the wire threading options to work?

no it usually drains to thread. you can thread with it filled up to 4 in. higher than 4 always drain the tank. make sure you check pump rotation.

Thank you very much. You've been a big help. I will be out of the shop all next week but I'll be able to get back to it after that.

Back