What's new
What's new

AGIECUT 120 Startup issue - Wire belts motor

LeoSelva

Plastic
Dear all,
I have an AgieCut120, one of the latest (circa 1997, for what I know). I am experiencing trouble to turn on the machine. I would like to know if anyone can help me with this issue.

The usual startup behavior used to be, just to mention the most visible facts:

1.- The computer screen starts to show BIOS, RAM, etc. Every cooling fan starts.
2.- A few seconds later, during the PC boot process, and all at the same time:
The pumps turn on.
The coordinate display on the remote control lights up.
The wire belts and wire chopper start to spin (in case wire is not threaded, as we normally turn the machine off).
3.- A few (several) seconds later, the OS finishes the booting process and the initial erosion screen appears. If any error message, here it appears.
4.- If there is no "severe" message (like the 3xx ones, so to say) the machine is ready to use. Some 1xx, 2xx or 4xx errors might be even normal.

What does it do now?
In chronological order (don't really know if the technical relevance is so, but I wouldn't like to assume what I do not know):

- In point 2 of the previous list, the wire belts and wire chopper DO NOT START. This is the very first recognizable issue.

- The only error messages that are displayed as the user interface starts are the 255.xxx (the dielectric is not in its best shape, but it is not something that has ever been a problem. And it is something like 255.012) and, about a minute later, the 611 message.*
*This is not the first time that such message is displayed, but it has never stopped the machine from working. When it did appear (in the days the machine was working normally) was always after draining the dielectric tank fully to replace the water, when it was normal to have to purge some of the pumps. The message disappeared after a few days. It has never been a problem (if it is now, I don't know)

- At this point, when you try to move any axis, the machine does move any axis, just one movement, at any speed, in any direction (we checked so), but, as soon as you lift your finger from the remote, the only keys that seem to work are the "STOP" and "clear messages". Sometimes the "manual" key lights, sometimes it doesn't.
If you try to reference the axes, you launch the process and the manual light starts to blink but nothing else happens.
If you try to thread the wire, same behavior as the reference. Nothing more than a small blinking LED.
It doesn't also start any program. You can load it to the CNC normally, but the green GO button does nothing.

Some facts I think might be relevant to the diagnosis:

1.- Even though the wire is not threaded at all, the 420 message does not appear. Normally it does as soon as the user interface starts. I really think it should.
2.- At any time of this process, any kind of signal reaches the motors. We checked it with an oscilloscope.
3.- The upper half of the wire drive (the feed, that is under the "AGIECUT 120 cover) does not react to the tension of the wire. Normally, when you pull the wire, the wheels start to feed it. Well, they just won't.
4.- If we remove the wire chopper hose (where the wire fragments fall to the bin) it does recognize the 116 error. If we put it back and turn OFF/ON the S01 in the wire spool cabinet, the message disappears (as it normally did).
5.- If you close the air inlet, the 256 - 450 message appears. Same as the chopper, it is erasable as always.

I tried to give as detailed and objective information as I could, if anyone thinks that knows some diagnosis guide it would really help.
If a video of the start process is needed, I 've no problem at all to film it, I didn't upload more information in order not to "contamiante" the post with potentially irrelevant info.
Best regards, have a nice day, and thanks in advance.
Leo.

leo, take look at the position of RX1 it is the pulley above the wire spool that controls the wire spool motor. you dont want to power up the machine with the pulley all the way up. roll the wire backwards onto spool to place rx1 somewhere in the middle of its travel BEFORE powering up.

Agieman,
we did so, and the machine seems to work fine. At least, wire belts started to behave normally, and the axes movements and so seem to be OK.
As we had started to clean several parts in the work area, we can't check everything, but in two days we will.
So, two things:
First, thank you so much, your knowledge has saved us several hours of diagnostics. It is good to know there are guys like you hanging around.
Second: Is this issue due to a sensor malfunction or it just happens if the sensor reaches its limit? Should I check or replace the sensor or it is a normal design issue?

Once again, thank you, and I'll keep you updated of our progress.

Not a sensor malfunction more of a design issue. keep wire on it and you should be fine. thank you for the kind words.

Back