What's new
What's new

Agiecut - Agie HSS - Agie Classic question

glbreil

Cast Iron
I think all of the machines of this same type machine has the same basic set up for the wire drive.

I am posting a picture of the part in question. It looks like a small solenoid and it is mounted directly above the steel wire drive wheel. I believe its purpose is to send current through the wire to tell when it is properly threaded.

The question is should there be a gap (how much) between the plunger and the steel wheel or is it supposed to touch the wheel?

If anyone who has one of these machines could take a look for me it would be greatly appreciated.

Also if anyone could give an exact explanation of what this does and how it works that would be great also.

Thanks Garyimage1 (2).jpg

Wrong! lol good guess though. This is NOT found on a classic by the way only AC machines 100-300, the D's and the HSS's. if it was for that, it would touch when running or threading no? Try Again. The gap is small enough that when the coil is energized the pin contacts the wheel. 2-4 mm should do it. What it actually is for is......
wire retraction AFTER a misthread or a wire break. Make the wire misthread then tell it to thread again it will energize the pin contact the roller and reverse the wire direction till the wire no longer touches the upper contact. Now it knows where the wire is and it can rethread.

Great Thanks for the Info!

This all stems from some trouble I have been having with the wire drive system on my machine. While sitting idle it will sometimes run forward and put enough slack in the wire that it comes off the weighted pulley. Then the wire drops behind it and just starts un-spooling wire. The only way to stop it is to hit the estop button.

When I started digging into it I notice that the rubber wheel that runs against the steel drive wheel had gotten gooey and more less insulated the steel drive wheel. I had to disassemble to get it cleaned up and replace the rubber wheel. I am hoping that the machine requires some sort of current connection through the steel drive wheel or that when the solenoid tried to make contact that it couldn't for the goo and this will take care of my problems.

Sound feasible?

No, actually your problem is likely on the DWC-06 board in the CF cabinet or on the sensor behind the weighted roller. The steel roller should stop immediately not coast to a stop. Is that what is happening?

No, it is not coasting. It happens when there should be no wire movement at all.

The steel wheel will just drive the wire a few inches enough to put slack in the wire. That makes it come off the weighted pulley (jockey roller I think) then it takes up the slack and the wire is behind the pulley instead of on it. At that point it just unspools wire.

Gary

Gary,

I've seen something similar when the spring loaded pulley (1074 deflection pulley in your photo) gets out of adjustment. You probably know that this pulley controls the unspooling of the wire. If I remember it right, there's a screwdriver slot on the end of the pivot shaft. You can loosen up the screw that clamps the arm to the shaft and make VERY SMALL adjustments with a screwdriver to get it to a point where there's tension on the spring and the spool doesn't roll. Do this with the spool door open obviously, so you can watch it :) Also, if it's possible to make this adjustment with the wire threaded and running, I think that'll allow you to get that pulley to 'float' in just the right spot.

Hopefully someone else here can confirm this, since it's been a few years since I've had the privilege of fussing with one of these machines!

Dan

If It Weren't For Bad Luck...

Well I got everything all back together and for about two hours the machine sat idle with the wire unthreaded while I looked for answers to a new problem.

Then all of a sudden without doing any of the things it had done previously the wire system just started spooling out wire. It was being driven by the brake motor I am pretty certain. I hit the stop button on the hand box got a 192 on the monitor but nothing stopped. Had to hit the estop to get it to quit spooling wire out into the tank.

The new problem is that the water conductivity sensor is reading 254-000. I replaced the sensor because I had one but it didn't help. Looks like it goes back to the MGJ-4022 board in the cabinet.

Any ideas? I have most parts because I bought a parts machine a few years ago but I am not quite sure where to go? I can't stand for it to just start wasting wire, something happens while I am not there a spool of wire is gone in a short time.

Thanks Gary

Could use just a little more help.

I thought I was back in business, but ran unto another issue.

I replaced the wire drive board and that seemed to stop the run away wire spooling. I replaced the MGJ-4022A board and that fixed the water conductivity issue.

So I fired up and cut for about an hour and walked back in to check on it and could smell smoke.

I found that one of the capacitors on the NSU-01A noise suppression board in the generator cabinet burnt up and took a few wires with it. The machine was still cutting and I have a NSU board but I am wondering if it is related to the wire drive problems or just coincidence. I am wondering if I might have possibly got a little lightening or something?

I hate to burn up another board is there any thing to check or just replace it and give it a go?

Thanks Gary

Back