Anyone have any NC upload software to go with a old brother HS-5100?
Close
Login to Your Account
Likes Likes:  0
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Connecticut
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Anyone have any NC upload software to go with a old brother HS-5100?

Forgive me I am new to the manufacturing world. I just started at a company about a 2 years ago and we have a very old brother wire edm. It appears capable to transfer files using the serial port in the back of it. They asked if I can look into sending G code files to it instead of manually typing it in on the machine.

It has been done in the past by a former employee but hes long gone with the info on how to do it.

The back has 2 DB25 serial ports on it. A "QD-3" port and also "PTRP". In the telecom settings window on the machine you can see the serial port settings. I have a Serial to USB dongle however im not 100% it is working but im also not sure if my surfam upload software is going to work either.

We don't have any old laptops with serial connections AFAIK here. So I may purchase another USB to serial adapter to be sure mine isnt faulty. If anyone has done this before in the past any clues on what to use to get it going would be extremely appreciated.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There's is lots of learning to be done on this topic. Older machines sometimes used non-standard cables. The communication standard is likely rs-232 and if you are lucky a standard cable with the appropriate ends will work fine.

As to software, try dnc4u. It is free to try and inexpensive to buy. It has a wizard that will help you figure out all the protocol and port settings for your computer by sniffing a port while you download a file from the machine.

Teryk

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Connecticut
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mTeryk View Post
    There's is lots of learning to be done on this topic. Older machines sometimes used non-standard cables. The communication standard is likely rs-232 and if you are lucky a standard cable with the appropriate ends will work fine.

As to software, try dnc4u. It is free to try and inexpensive to buy. It has a wizard that will help you figure out all the protocol and port settings for your computer by sniffing a port while you download a file from the machine.

Teryk

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
    Good point never considered it might be a Brother specific cable. I was just using a generic Db25