What's new
What's new

Breaks the electrode in agie impact innovation machine

Nikolaosst77

Plastic
Hi to all im new in this site
the problem we have is that while the machine can work even a week without a problem but there is a case every job we do every time we find the electrode broken without any error
i am not operator but electrician technician to tell you details about the electrodes we use but we have been using this supplier for years without a problem
the operator working on the machine claims that the electrode is broken because of it. for some reason the current is interrupted
but i was wondering if this was the case i wouldn't have any error from the machine diagnostics?
has anyone encountered such a case?

When is it breaking?
During the EDM cycle, positioning?
What is the electrode material?
Is it a fragile detail?
More info will help figure this out.
Thanks
Dave

the electrode material is copper
I just have to make a correction
the electrode does not break but it slowly bends downward and the machine continues to operate without error
the electrode continues to puncture the workpiece but it has already bent his bottom and for this reason he continues to puncture the track from its slopes, effectively opening a larger hole for me and destroying the workpiece
I have checked the cable contacts + and - that go to the electrode from the electronic card poi 16c they are good
I have check in the manual mode when the electrode touches the workpiece the machine outputs a message colision which means that the control is working
but i dont know if and in the automatic operating cycle which occurs the error if the control of the machine remains in;
the electrodes we use have a hole in the middle to flushing better
the problem occurs in both the thinnest and thickest cross-section electrodes just at the thinnest the distortion is greater
the operator claims to be using the same electrodes and technologies as before without any problems at all
what else can i look at my problem?

What is the work piece material? What edm machine ? When you have the issue is the electrode of similar geometry? Upload a picture of an electrode that has had an issue

the only thing i can answer at the moment is my machine is agie impact 3
I know the other information the monday I will return to work thanks

Good morning to all,

the working piece material is steel. Yes the issue is of similar geometry, it's cylindrical (image). Attached you will find the electrodes.

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 88
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 86
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 83
Ok this helps. I've actually seen situations like this a few times over the years. We use copper or brass tubing to burn out taps, drills, etc . I would first start with your machine settings. You should be using negative polarity with low ON time. And perhaps you need to slow the servo speed down on your machine. With poor settings I believe the bottom gets to the point where it becomes non conductive and basically is pressed into the steel. Hence it bending..

Are you running flushing thru it? Is it single channel tube or does it have that helical center ?

Good morning,

Yes, we are running flushing thru it. We have single tube electrodes and multi-tube electrodes with 2 or more tubes but I think it's not helical.

We are now cleaning the bottom of the machine where the magnets touch on the table. So I will know the results in two or three days.

I have 2 questions:

1) If there is any chance of touching the electrode on the steel, why the machine doesn't stop and show a warning message at the autocycle. Normally, should the machine stop it's operation and protect the electrode. I used a wire and I made a short-circuit between electrode and workpiece. I expected the machine to stop for emergency. Although, the machine continued working. I observed that at the moment which I made a bridge between + and - the z axis went up and down with a higher frequency (speed).

2) The negative polarity you mentioned is the - on the electrode and + on the workpiece?

For your information in all these tries I made, the c axis is on and the electrode rotates.

Thank you for your interest and your help.

Is this a production job where there are several pieces to do?
I have seen where the operator see’s the the electrode has EDMed through the part and stopped the cycle then manually back of of the hole then load a new part. This the the cycle was stopped before it reached the final depth the machine will try and go to where it was stopped not knowing there is a new part in the machine. If the program was exited from and restarted then this is not the problem.
Looks like all the bent electrodes are new so this could be that the electrode was as longer than expected and when positioning is done it cannot stop fast enough to not bend it

Hi to all
we found a problem related with the flushing
there was no continuous flow but it was done with breaks
we made it and all the pieces we have put go well
We're watching the machine and if I don't rewrite something it means that was the problem

Ok this helps. I've actually seen situations like this a few times over the years. We use copper or brass tubing to burn out taps, drills, etc . I would first start with your machine settings. You should be using negative polarity with low ON time. And perhaps you need to slow the servo speed down on your machine. With poor settings I believe the bottom gets to the point where it becomes non conductive and basically is pressed into the steel. Hence it bending..

Are you running flushing thru it? Is it single channel tube or does it have that helical center ?

Hello again.

@SteveEx30 Finally the machine worked successfully for about a week. But after that, we face the same problem again at every work. The electrode bends. We did what you said but nothing changed. Do you have to propose us something else?

Thank you in advance.

Back