What's new
What's new

Brother HS 70a HELP!

csun

Plastic
We have a Brother HS 70a wire edm in the lab (we are a university), running since 1997. Apparently the battery pack died this summer, now all parameters and info in the data bank are lost, we also get various errors associated with the lost memory.

After searching the forums we see there is no support for Brother EDM machines, we contacted Charmille and they don't have any info on how to recover the lost data.

Is there anyone out there who could help us recover the memory? Looks like all we need is the data bank files with all parameters, this could be an output file from any running HS70a machine.

Thanks in advance

CSUN Machine Lab

You may be a bit off on either the date of that machine OR the model!

In 1997 Brother was still with the HS3100, HS3600 or HS5100 series.
Then came the HS50A sometime in the late 99 or early 2000 or so
Then the last iteration came about in 2003-ish or so???

Anyhow, you may be on the right track by asking for a working machine's parameters, BUT!
You should also get a copy of the service manual. Hopefully, you may find someone at Charmilles with enough courtesy to at least check to
see if they still have one collecting dust in some corner in Lincolnshire.

This being EDM, while the basic parameters from another unit SHOULD get you back to limp-mode, you will absolutely need to get the generator
and servo parameters re-tuned.
The service manuals will have a section on what to calibrate and how.
I only have a 3100 and a 50A so cannot help any further, but you may get lucky and find a working 70A with a manual.

Brother HS70A

We have a Brother HS 70a wire edm in the lab (we are a university), running since 1997. Apparently the battery pack died this summer, now all parameters and info in the data bank are lost, we also get various errors associated with the lost memory.

After searching the forums we see there is no support for Brother EDM machines, we contacted Charmille and they don't have any info on how to recover the lost data.

Is there anyone out there who could help us recover the memory? Looks like all we need is the data bank files with all parameters, this could be an output file from any running HS70a machine.

Thanks in advance

CSUN Machine Lab

I purchased mine in '05 from Charmilles, IL

Inside the electrical cabinet there are two places that take AA batteries, three batteries in one place, two in the other.
If these batteries are not replaced you will loose the machine parameters and all programs.

I replace mine every year or two.

Sorry to hear your machine is down.
I guess this isn't the first time your machine has been down.
Ten,twelve years ago I acquired a defective front wire transport panel for a HS-70A.
It had a sticker indicating it came from the CSUN.
At this time there isn't much left of that panel.
About that time I was involved in updating two of my HS-70As to HS-70AMs.
There was lots of data saving and transferring.
Without the help from Mike Franson from Brothers support at the time, I would not have been up to the task.
It seemed at the time the CPU had non volatile operating memory.
I don't recall there being a "startup disk" only machine specific parameters.
Among them lead screw comp, power comp,ect which can be found in the pouch on inside of the back door.
Not having the proper "backup files" you fill in the proper data tables yourself.
I know there a about 3-4 operating files that can be backed up/down loaded from the HS70s
using the Brother HS70 ethernet coms software. But again the machine has the bootup to this level.
If the machine doesn't bootup to the point allowing the data input, I guess I'm no help.

Regards,
John

PS,Let me know if the machine is for sale. I'm in socal.

Back