What's new
What's new

Brother HS70-A Memory Issues

sfuller737

Plastic
Hi Brothers,

I have Brother HS70-A wire EDM machine that I am trying to get running. It boots up but it has a couple memory faults I'd like to clear up. 8351 Disk size error and 5108 memory not formatted. I also get an occasional fatal 8003 Ram error (Main/Wire) fault.
I can access programs but if I page down the list: 7998 **Kernel Error!
I can access the data bank but parameter greater than #500 are full of bad non-numeric values. I can access all the machine's operational parameters.
I cannot get to the format function on this machine. I just get a blank display.

I found both battery packs non-functional.
I suspect the compact flash card is corrupt and I have ordered blank replacement card 128Mb. I don't know if that will work or not.

Anyone have experience putting a new card in these things?
Can I/should I be able to read the card in a PC?
Is there more to the card than machine parameter and user programs?

I am hoping to stick the card in, format it, have the parameters re-entered (which I have recorded) and voila. I'm expecting to have to use a hammer somewhere along the line so as not to cause RAM error in my own brain.

I am not very familiar with the wire machines, they weren't sold or supported by Yamazen in the US. The machining centers of the approximate vintage use a very similar control. A00 in your case I believe. The alarms you mentioned point to an NC board failure as I recall. You may be able to Format and re-enter parameters etc. I don't think you can change the compact flash card. The software of the machine is loaded by Brother in the Local (Memory?) board. That's all I got. Maybe try Brother International or Agie/Charmilles (sp?) They were the company that supported them as I recall. You might also try Bob Hedel in the US Yamazen parts dept. He is very knowledgable and may have more info for you.

Another thought, there is a member here that is pretty familiar with the Brother wires:
https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/members/hs70a-brother/

Hello sfuller737,

Have you resolved you memory card issues?
If so, what did you do to correct them?

I only ask because this could happen to me or anyone else, in the future!

Regards,

Brother John

The CFC may not be damaged but the 11 system files on it are.
Try rebooting using the "reset" procedure. This will restore the 11 OEM system files to the CFC.
I believe the 11 oem files are retained on the nonvolatile chips and written to the CFC only when needed.
Worked for me!

Regards,
Brother John

Back to square one. This is a game changer.
The system files are on the nonvolatile chips.
The machine specific file are on the CFC.
If you have not backed up the 11 files and they become corrupt, the machine will not work.
If you try to "read" the Brother CFC on a Window based machine you will damage the CFC's file system it and will not work, period.
The CFC can be repaired with a Linux base computer.
But you still need the missing 11 machine specific files.
After repairing and reloading the 11 files on the 'Linux computer' then installing the CFC in the Brother HS70A, it runs again.
This worked for me just this week.

Regards,
John

Check e'mail for pdf file.
It is not explained in the PDF but before you "reset" use a PC connected to the machine and then use the Brother COMs software
to backup your NC files. The "reset" will restore factory machine setting only.
Then you can reload your NC files for the PC.

Brother John

Also wondering how the reset to factory settings - getting a 8336 check sum error (macro variables)

Back