What's new
What's new

Burning brass

bob

Titanium
My D10 will not burn brass with graphite shorts out as soon as it starts.Works ok with copper
electrode and graphite works ok in steel. Any ideas?
Bob

Hi Bob,
Are you in positive, or negative polarity? You'll need to use Negative polarity for Graphite electrode to Brass\Bronze material. See if that helps ----------------- John :cheers:

This is an old machine built in 1979 so it does not have the sophisticated electronics or control that new machines have. All settings are done manually. At any rate I tried setting at what the manual suggests, neg polarity, high power and long on time, it burns but seems to be at the max for the machine and slow.
Bob

Ever weld brass? It releases nasty shit, same applys to edm. That why I said flushing is key. I think with all your messing with settings might have got you to the panacea of performance for this machine:).

Sometimes in edm it's either slow burn or no burn lol

I hate edm and this machine. Why I have it is long story . No real paying work for it here. Anyway this morning went out fired up ram came down but would not come up. I knew it was low on hydraulic oil but had ignored it. Went to put oil in it, would not take it and guage shows pressure with return side open. There is a very fine filter on pressure side took it apart looked ok but replaced it anyway. That worked got oil topped up and started burn. Working much better. But of course tank now leaks. Drain ,adjust get the drip stopped try again. With 1/4" round electrode it takes about 20 minutes to burn down 1/4" nowhere near the rate book suggests but at least it works.
Bob

I have only burned brass once, which taught me not to do that again. It was slow and the wear on the graphite electrodes was far more than anything else I ever burned. As already said flushing is key, and patience, and extra roughing electrodes.

Back