What's new
What's new

Charmilles D10 - RAM EDM -- Rotary Converter Size or KVA rating?

Kenovo

Plastic
Howdy!

I just bought a Charmilles D10 and I'm totally new to EDM. My unit is wired for three phase 220 VAC. I only have single phase 220 VAC at my shop, so I will buy a rotary converter to generate three phase current and I'm trying to size he unit that I need. They're not cheap, so I don't want to be too conservative since that will be costly.

My problem is that the specification plate on the power supply doesn't state the KVA for this unit. Some people have mentioned that their units are 3KVA or 4KVA, but I haven't been able to verify that.:scratchchin:

1. Does anyone have a D10 with Isopulse 25 and can you recommend a rotary converter size (2.5, 5, 7.5, 10, 15, 20 HP)?
2. Do you know what the KVA spec is on these units?
3. One last thing, I've noticed a 24DC and 120VAC fused output on the power supply. Does anyone know what these are for?:nutter:

I have looked in the manual and haven't found this information. Any and all help is appreciated!

Many thanks!
Kenovo20180705_215604.jpg20180706_203502b.JPG20180706_203417.jpg

I would guess those outputs are for an orbiter, not entirely sure, but I dont believe this machine has a C-axis. Could be wrong!!

I would guess those outputs are for an orbiter, not entirely sure, but I dont believe this machine has a C-axis. Could be wrong!!

Many thanks! Any idea on the peak amperage or KVA rating for this machine?

Assuming 25 amps x 230 V x sqrt(3) = 13 HP, but I'm not sure about whether the 25 amps is the right number here. Any thoughts appreciated!

I run mine with a 10hp Phase Perfect but I think that is more than needed. Guessing a 5hp would be plenty.
Bob

Thanks Bob! What makes you think that your 10hp may be oversized?

I don't know much about rotary phase converters.

Is your Phase Perfect a digital or rotary? Do you have the model number?

If yours is digital, is there any good reason to choose a digital over rotary? Thanks!

Looks like 3-4 kva. This question came up recently in a different post and I’m just regurgitating someone’s answer.

Looks like 3-4 kva. This question came up recently in a different post and I’m just regurgitating someone’s answer.

Yes, I saw that in one post but they don't mention how they was determined. Mine has a base plate that leaves that field blank. I'd like to be able to verify that my model and the one in question are actually the same or similar. Thanks!

Back