What's new
What's new

cheaper wire?

conpi

Plastic
On a Mitsubishi MV1200R has anyone tried using an off brand or cheaper wire to cut parts? I use genuine Mitsubishi wire now .010 dia. A salesman is trying to sell me cheaper wire. But he has never used a wire edm, he is in sales. I am content with the results I am achieving now. We don't need high accuracy. +- .0005 to +- .001. We don't need a great finish either. We have odd shapes so we use a wire. We stamp aluminum. We don't have unattended machining either. So rethreading is not an issue.

Mitsubishi has a premium version VNP and an economy version VEC if you want to stick to OEM wire, EDM Tech Center is the Mitsubishi Consumable distributor for Minnesota - [email protected]
They have both in stock and will deliver locally

In my experience, cheaper wire was never worth the hassle.
But I have always tried to run attended as much as possible.

It's been a minute since I've purchased wire for Mits machines, but OKI made a very high quality plain brass wire that wasn't too expensive.
As I remember, it was always about the annealing during the wire cut/thread function.
If the wire wasn't decent, it would never anneal properly.

Jay Crumb
Advanced EDM, LLC

If your salesman a truly confident in his wire, he should be willing to give you a spool with the understanding that you will buy it if it performs as advertised. Don’t expect a 35# spool and don’t try to wriggle out of the deal for bullshit reasons.

It's been a while, but I was buying StammCut 950 Brass for a team of Mitsubishis, including a MV1200. Don't remember the price difference, but it always unspooled nicely and was at least as clean as the stuff Mits pushes. Bought it from Electrodes Inc. We were running the hell out of those machines, got like 70% of the available hours cutting that year, with just one shift, in spite of the 4 older less reliable Charmilles.

I liked Stamm's coated wires when I ran AGIE machines as well. Cheaper than CobraCut A, and just as clean.

In my experience, cheaper wire was never worth the hassle.
But I have always tried to run attended as much as possible.

It's been a minute since I've purchased wire for Mits machines, but OKI made a very high quality plain brass wire that wasn't too expensive.
As I remember, it was always about the annealing during the wire cut/thread function.
If the wire wasn't decent, it would never anneal properly.

Jay Crumb
Advanced EDM, LLC

OKI was the OEM recommended wire for Mitsubishi before they had their own branded wire, the Mitsubishi VNP wire is made by OKI for Mitsubishi, the VEC economy version is not, FX and older machines should use pariffin coated wire like the OKI-P, FA and newer should use non-pariffin like OKI-PN or Mitsubishi VNP (Vantage Non Pariffin)

The problem we *always* ran into with cheap wire is the occasional bad spool. It would not be wound correctly (however they determine that?) and would birds nest which usually resulted in scrapping the rest of the spool.

Back