What's new
What's new

Switching to .006 wire from .010 on Sodick Wire EDM

JZ.

Aluminum
Im looking for some advice on changing to .006 diameter wire from .010 on a Sodick Wire EDM . I have a small job I need to make the switch over for. I have done this before in the past but had some difficulty getting started and would greatly appreciate some advice to make things smoother.

I don't have any info on the type of wire the .006 is due to the label has worn off.

Thank You

What advise are you looking for? The settings should be in your machine, AQ537 right? The main issue I have when I switch to smaller wire is with the tension roller. More than likely it has a .010" groove in it. The .006" wire will slip through it. You may have to adjust your pinch rollers in the rear of the machine as well.

What advise are you looking for? The settings should be in your machine, AQ537 right? The main issue I have when I switch to smaller wire is with the tension roller. More than likely it has a .010" groove in it. The .006" wire will slip through it. You may have to adjust your pinch rollers in the rear of the machine as well.

Yup AQ537.Mainly threading settings, I replaced my roller last year so I don't have the groove quite yet. I know to switch too C777, but I struggled with threading and now that I think back my old roller could have been the issue there.

You may have to play around with the water jet as well. .006" wire isn't very fun to work with

You may have to play around with the water jet as well. .006" wire isn't very fun to work with

Yeah I like my standard .010 wire. We are looking at a new VL600Q and someone suggested switching our standard wire size down and I really hope they don't.

lol...that's a horrible suggestion. Good luck with the VL600. That's a really nice machine.

I finished my parts today with the .006 wire. Went pretty good, had to make a couple condition adjustments because the wire kept breaking at first, but I got tweaked in.

Back