What's new
What's new

Chmer RX 853SL

sigpros

Plastic
Hi new guy to the forum, looks like a great place to learn and expand my skills I have some questions about a machine at my work hoping maybe some of you here can help me with it

Does anyone run one of these wire EDM machines or any Chmer wire machine? We have one at my work that doesn't get used much and I am trying to expand that and possibly be the guy running it more. What I need help with is cutting tapers. My work is wanting to get into cutting buttons for stamping dies and I want to figure out how to cut tapers. No one at my work can do it and it would help a lot. Does anyone have a tapers for dummies set of notes? Also is there any good resources for these machines? I am going at this with no manual just a lot of trial and error.

Thank you for any help

I do not run one of those particular machines, but I have only been running some Sodick machines for the last year and a half.

The resources I have used to learn my job are this forum, EDM Today magazine, and the Wire EDM Handbook. So much useful information on those resources.

I have yet to attempt tapers, not something we have ever needed at my shop, I too do want to learn how to run tapers.

Amazon.com: Wire EDM Handbook (9781575373010): Carl Sommer, Steve Sommer, Carol Sommer: Books

do you need help programming the tapered parts, or do you need help with the machine? EDM Network can help you with the machine, what are you using for programming software?

Thanks guys

We have no programming software. Every thing we do is manual g code and has to be input into the machine. We cant even use a usb. Pretty old school around here I know. Part of what is making it so tough to get this thing going

Marcus I want to know all of that. LOL. How to set it up and writing the code would be a great help for starters. It is kind of an area of the trade that isn't being used and I am trying to get into it.

Thank you for any help

Good morning sigpros:
OK, here is my experience:
First off, there are several ways to make tapers on any wire EDM machine, and it's worthwhile to know all of them even if you rarely use them.

1) You can explicitly command the U and V axes to move a certain distance.
This is the most difficult way because you have a lot to calculate:
a) You need to know the height between the contact points of the upper and lower guides with the wire and where they are relative to the table.
b) You need to know how much to displace the U and V axes to tilt the wire at the angle you want.
c) You need to re-calculate that for every point on the wire path where the profile changes.
Suffice it to say tilting U and V by a calculated amount is not very practical except for a very few instances where it can be a bacon saver.

2) You can create an upper profile and a lower profile and command the wire to intersect both profiles.
This is super useful when your profiles are different or your angles are constantly changing, and the example commonly used by wire EDM makers is the infamous "squircle"...round on the top and rectangular on the bottom.
This requires stitching the G code for the top and bottom profiles together into one program or, alternatively, breaking each profile up into small lines and stitching those together.

3) The simplest way, used by almost everyone when the taper is a constant angle, is to use a simple taper command in the code that says..."tip over X degrees and follow this profile when you do it.
My Chmer machine uses the "A" word, so A5.0 tilts the wire 5 degrees and the U and V axes will continuously move to hold that taper normal to the profile until you tell the wire to go back to vertical with an A0.0 command.

So:
G54 G0 X-.1 Y-.1
G01 G41 A5.0 X0.0 Y0.0
X1.0
Y1.0
X0.0
Y0.0
G40 A0.0 X-.1 Y-.1
M02
This describes the code to make a rectangular feature with a 5 degree sidewall.

The next thing is to set up the machine to run the code correctly.
There are things you must do to prep the wire EDM so it knows what you want:
1) You need to tell it if the profile you want to follow is on the top of the block or the bottom of the block or somewhere else.

2) You need to tell it (by editing the code) if you want the big end of the feature at the top or at the bottom, and you do this by commanding the sign of the "A" word.
So A5.0 or A-5.0 will tilt the wire one way or the other, and you need to get it the right way for your job.
So depending on whether you run clockwise around your profile or counterclockwise (G41 or G42) and whether you want the big end at the top or bottom, you will have to use the correct sign for your taper call.
There is an arcane way to visualize this using your finger and thumb sticking out of your fist and squinting down your arm, but it can be mightily confusing, so I just simulate the path in the control, view it on a perspective view in simulation so it's unambiguous and edit the sign of the "A" word until it looks correct.

3) you need to tell the machine how high above the table you want the commanded profile to be ( a part of point #1)

All of this information is entered into the machine control in two places:
1) Into the FILE screen using F5 (Sim Data)
2) Into the "AUTO" screen using F2 (Mem Data 1)

When you open these screens there is a table you can fill in labeled: "TAPER SET", and that's where you input everything.
To check you did it right, go to F9 (FIGURE COLOR) and change the "VIEW MODE" from X-Y to ISO to see a perspective view.
Run the simulation and check if it looks right.

Once you're satisfied it's correct in simulation, duplicate the settings in the "AUTO" screen.
A quirk of my machine that may still be true in yours too, is that you need to hit the RESET button before you can edit anything in "AUTO"...stupid stupid stupid, but that's how software engineers think, so learn it rather than fight it!

Now all of this may be obsolete by now; the Chmer control was changing rapidly when I got mine in 2011, and even the manual that came with the machine was wrong for many things (besides being written in Chinglish which didn't help), but at least it's a starting place from which you can play around as I had to as well.

As you screw around with it other questions will undoubtedly emerge...ask them as you confront them and I'll try to help.

Good luck with it...I know it's a bit overwhelming.

Cheers

Marcus
Implant Mechanix • Design & Innovation > HOME
Vancouver Wire EDM -- Wire EDM Machining

Thank you Marcus

I will write all this down and hopefully I can get up in the wire room this week and try it out.

All of this information is entered into the machine control in two places:
1) Into the FILE screen using F5 (Sim Data)
2) Into the "AUTO" screen using F2 (Mem Data 1)

They have to be exactly the same?

Thanks

If you want to get a good simulation, yes. Honestly I never used the simulation, I just set it in the Auto page and go. The Sim data won't affect how the program actually runs.

Back