What's new
What's new

Compare service issues with Mits FA 10 and FA20 WEDM to Fancu and Makino

RJT

Titanium
I am starting to look at replacing my Mitsubishi FA10 and FA20 machines (8 year old and 14 year old machines). They are showing their age, and even though I think we have preformed a good bit of PM on them, we are spending quite a bit on service issues. We have replaced seal plates multiple times. Last time we did it ourselves and found the previous replacement (Mits service) wasn't a great job. We have replaced chillers twice (non warranty), they are sealed units and Mits doesn't service them. I looked into aftermarket service, the pumps are OEM non serviceable.
We have twice replaced the lower housing that contains the power contractor ( power contractor is spring loaded and can come loose and EDM away the inside of the housing). From what I have seen the last problem has been addressed with a whole new system, but the others still are the same on the newest machines. Threading has been good when everything is perfect, but not reliable in the long run. Undecided about wire choppers, there is maintenance, but emptying a bucket sure looks easier than wrestling with a box of coiled wire. Looking at both Fanuc and Makino, both have choppers as an option but they both don't sell them very often. Do you have the same service issues with either of these brands? We have had 3 generation of Mits machines for over 27 years. Never had service contracts, just paid as we went. It was a lot less expensive whey they had a tech center 90 miles away in Charlotte.

RJ, our FA20P has been very reliable,had to replace the lower arm bellows once and reseal the box the seal plate rides in, replace the Z motor. Other than that she's been great. Still threads pretty reliably, very accurate. I much prefer coiling the wire as to chopping, I feel it is easier to handle, and no maintaince on choppers.

Our shop has gone down a similar path as yours, we started with an 110HA and a 90C. In 1995 we traded up to a FX20 and a SX10 hybrid. We added the FA20P in 2005, and last July we sent the FX and SX down the road and installed a new MV2400R. So far I just love the MVR, beautiful machine. Haven't had it long enough to figure how reliable she will be, but I am confident it's going to be great. We take very good care of the equipment around here.

I do not have any experience with Fanuc or Makino EDM's. We have the service contract, always did from the beginning. If a tech comes out to work on a machine, I stay right with them and help. Had one fowl up by a Mit's tech years ago. We had to replace the Z axis screw in the FX20, and he botched it and ruined the bearings. McMachinery came out and replaced it on their dime. We have had very good luck with Mit's. We also run Mit's sinkers as well, very good machines.

Bill

RJ, sorry I killed your thread. Before we bought the FA20, we looked at Makino and Fanuc. We sent some test parts to Makino and they came back well below standard, run-off corners muddled features. The test piece was a carbide die, with .0001" tolerances. So we stayed with Mit's.

To be fair, some time later I talked to a tech that used to work on Makino's, he said the machine should have been able to do that piece. So probably a sales man, with not much experience did the test cut, sounds logical. I think it's like Ford vs Chevy, the top manufactures have damn good equipment to offer.

Bill

Back