What's new
What's new

Coolant Proof Calipers need profile cut on Wire EDM

JZ.

Aluminum
I have an odd job on a pair of Mitutoyo Digital Coolant Proof calipers. I need to wire a form in the jaws but I am not sure if I should submerge these while I cut them or if I should just go with un submerged cutting. People I have talked to seem a bit unsure of the affects the water may have on them. In my eyes "Coolant Proof" should be okay in D.I. water for a short period of time.

Does anyone have any experience with submerging anything "Coolant Proof" in water? I've done the best I can to try and keep the water out of the electronics.

Thanks!

The difference between IP67 and IP68 in regards to moisture is:

7 Protected from immersion in water with a depth of up to 1 meter (or 3.3 feet) for up to 30 mins
8 Protected from immersion in water with a depth of more than 1 meter (manufacturer must specify exact depth)

Can you find a pair of IP68 rated calipers if you need to do a submerged cut?

7 Protected from immersion in water with a depth of up to 1 meter (or 3.3 feet) for up to 30 mins
8 Protected from immersion in water with a depth of more than 1 meter (manufacturer must specify exact depth)

Hey thanks for that info, I did see some numbers on them, but I’ll have to check tomorrow.

Hey they are IP67. Thanks again

Wire edm uses high pressure water to flush with . . . more pressure than 3 or even 20 meters (20 meters is about 30 psi). This is with submerged or not.

If you want to try anyway, just be sure you use calipers you can live without. And brand new unused are more likely to be sealed.

Rough cut water pressure I think might damage it.

I would rough it out un submerged with weak water pressure and an extra thou or two on the offset then skim it a couple of extra times.

Can you wrap the head in something to keep the water stream from getting directly at it, it'll still get wet but it won't see the direct stream. Plastic bag and some tape/shrink wrap or even self fusing electrical tape.

It shouldn't be an issue. Take the battery out, seal the battery compartment back up, do your cuts submerged, when done take the battery cover off and make sure everything is nice and dry, put the battery back in. If paranoid, put them in front of a fan while opened up for a couple days.

Electronics don't give a flying f*&k about water as long as no power is applied and there isn't a charged capacitor in the circuit... and to be sure, let 'em sit for a couple hours after the battery is removed.

Wire edm uses high pressure water to flush with . . . more pressure than 3 or even 20 meters (20 meters is about 30 psi). This is with submerged or not.

If you want to try anyway, just be sure you use calipers you can live without. And brand new unused are more likely to be sealed.

Cause there's no way to run a reduced flush...and you do realize that when submerged the pressure is dissipated, especially when the heads are farther apart.

What about coating the callipers in that wax that gets put on parts ready for transit? Or even putty round the elecrical bits? Or what about a vernier instead of digital?

What about coating the callipers in that wax that gets put on parts ready for transit? Or even putty round the elecrical bits? Or what about a vernier instead of digital?

Hey thanks for the idea. These calipers were specific to the customers request but after doing some research they were rated to be submerged in up to 3ft of water for a max of 30min. I was able to just do my regular thing and had them cut and done within the time frame and everything worked out great.
Thanks Again

Hey thanks for the idea. These calipers were specific to the customers request but after doing some research they were rated to be submerged in up to 3ft of water for a max of 30min. I was able to just do my regular thing and had them cut and done within the time frame and everything worked out great.
Thanks Again

Oddly enough I just modified a 12" Mitutoyo ip67 caliper. Roughed with the 1st skim power for 1/4" material, then 2 additional skims for finish(these were also non-critical cuts just clearance). Ran it un-submerged that is it, the calipers work they way they should post wedm.

Back