Coolant Proof Calipers need profile cut on Wire EDM
Close
Login to Your Account
Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    49
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    26
    Likes (Received)
    11

    Default Coolant Proof Calipers need profile cut on Wire EDM

    I have an odd job on a pair of Mitutoyo Digital Coolant Proof calipers. I need to wire a form in the jaws but I am not sure if I should submerge these while I cut them or if I should just go with un submerged cutting. People I have talked to seem a bit unsure of the affects the water may have on them. In my eyes "Coolant Proof" should be okay in D.I. water for a short period of time.

    Does anyone have any experience with submerging anything "Coolant Proof" in water? I've done the best I can to try and keep the water out of the electronics.


    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    British Columbia
    Posts
    1,280
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    361
    Likes (Received)
    585

    Default

    The difference between IP67 and IP68 in regards to moisture is:

    7 Protected from immersion in water with a depth of up to 1 meter (or 3.3 feet) for up to 30 mins
    8 Protected from immersion in water with a depth of more than 1 meter (manufacturer must specify exact depth)

    Can you find a pair of IP68 rated calipers if you need to do a submerged cut?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Posts
    3,634
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1517
    Likes (Received)
    1717

    Default

    I am trying to imagine a use for those...

    What about burning the shape into some type of caliper jaw accessory?
    Caliper Accessory Kit 63326896 - MSC

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    49
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    26
    Likes (Received)
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hazzert View Post
    The difference between IP67 and IP68 in regards to moisture is:

    7 Protected from immersion in water with a depth of up to 1 meter (or 3.3 feet) for up to 30 mins
    8 Protected from immersion in water with a depth of more than 1 meter (manufacturer must specify exact depth)

    Can you find a pair of IP68 rated calipers if you need to do a submerged cut?
    Hey thanks for that info, I did see some numbers on them, but I’ll have to check tomorrow.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    CANADA
    Posts
    573
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    40
    Likes (Received)
    175

    Default

    Just take them apart. Take the digital screen part off?

  6. Likes BugRobotics liked this post
  7. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    49
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    26
    Likes (Received)
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SteveEx30 View Post
    Just take them apart. Take the digital screen part off?
    I thought about that, but they are for a customer and I don't want to risk damaging any type if seal or adhesive that might be there.

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    49
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    26
    Likes (Received)
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hazzert View Post
    The difference between IP67 and IP68 in regards to moisture is:

    7 Protected from immersion in water with a depth of up to 1 meter (or 3.3 feet) for up to 30 mins
    8 Protected from immersion in water with a depth of more than 1 meter (manufacturer must specify exact depth)

    Can you find a pair of IP68 rated calipers if you need to do a submerged cut?
    Hey they are IP67. Thanks again

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Plainfield, Indiana, USA
    Posts
    1,731
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1310
    Likes (Received)
    925

    Default

    Wire edm uses high pressure water to flush with . . . more pressure than 3 or even 20 meters (20 meters is about 30 psi). This is with submerged or not.

    If you want to try anyway, just be sure you use calipers you can live without. And brand new unused are more likely to be sealed.

  10. Likes Jim7511 liked this post
  11. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    CANADA
    Posts
    573
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    40
    Likes (Received)
    175

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jz814 View Post
    I thought about that, but they are for a customer and I don't want to risk damaging any type if seal or adhesive that might be there.
    Pretty sure it's very simple. I can't see how you would damage it.

  12. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Posts
    79
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    30
    Likes (Received)
    22

    Default

    Rough cut water pressure I think might damage it.

    I would rough it out un submerged with weak water pressure and an extra thou or two on the offset then skim it a couple of extra times.

  13. Likes jz814 liked this post
  14. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    950
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    114
    Likes (Received)
    272

    Default

    Can you wrap the head in something to keep the water stream from getting directly at it, it'll still get wet but it won't see the direct stream. Plastic bag and some tape/shrink wrap or even self fusing electrical tape.

  15. Likes jz814 liked this post
  16. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Posts
    29
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    16
    Likes (Received)
    27

    Default

    It shouldn't be an issue. Take the battery out, seal the battery compartment back up, do your cuts submerged, when done take the battery cover off and make sure everything is nice and dry, put the battery back in. If paranoid, put them in front of a fan while opened up for a couple days.

    Electronics don't give a flying f*&k about water as long as no power is applied and there isn't a charged capacitor in the circuit... and to be sure, let 'em sit for a couple hours after the battery is removed.

  17. Likes jz814 liked this post
  18. #13
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Posts
    2,037
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    186
    Likes (Received)
    1133

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Red James View Post
    Wire edm uses high pressure water to flush with . . . more pressure than 3 or even 20 meters (20 meters is about 30 psi). This is with submerged or not.

    If you want to try anyway, just be sure you use calipers you can live without. And brand new unused are more likely to be sealed.
    Cause there's no way to run a reduced flush...and you do realize that when submerged the pressure is dissipated, especially when the heads are farther apart.

  19. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Posts
    145
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2
    Likes (Received)
    23

    Default

    What about coating the callipers in that wax that gets put on parts ready for transit? Or even putty round the elecrical bits? Or what about a vernier instead of digital?

  20. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    49
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    26
    Likes (Received)
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Luke.kerbey View Post
    What about coating the callipers in that wax that gets put on parts ready for transit? Or even putty round the elecrical bits? Or what about a vernier instead of digital?
    Hey thanks for the idea. These calipers were specific to the customers request but after doing some research they were rated to be submerged in up to 3ft of water for a max of 30min. I was able to just do my regular thing and had them cut and done within the time frame and everything worked out great.
    Thanks Again

  21. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Posts
    79
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    30
    Likes (Received)
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jz814 View Post
    Hey thanks for the idea. These calipers were specific to the customers request but after doing some research they were rated to be submerged in up to 3ft of water for a max of 30min. I was able to just do my regular thing and had them cut and done within the time frame and everything worked out great.
    Thanks Again
    Oddly enough I just modified a 12" Mitutoyo ip67 caliper. Roughed with the 1st skim power for 1/4" material, then 2 additional skims for finish(these were also non-critical cuts just clearance). Ran it un-submerged that is it, the calipers work they way they should post wedm.

  22. Likes jz814 liked this post

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •