What's new
What's new

Custom Wire EDM tooling

Homer

Plastic
Hello, we have some bought tooling, Hirschmann, 3R etc. But would like some ideas for some custom tooling such as corner blocks, v blocks for difficult to hold pieces of tool and die components.
Would love to see some good ideas!

Thanks

We have a whole shelf full of fixtures we have made over the years. Even made some vises fashioned after 3R when times were slow. If you are going keep it and use it , make it from 440C stainless, harden it and grind it flat / square. Vertical V blocks are handy, we have several different sizes. We use the picture frame rails from 3R quite a bit also.

We have a whole shelf full of fixtures we have made over the years. Even made some vises fashioned after 3R when times were slow. If you are going keep it and use it , make it from 440C stainless, harden it and grind it flat / square. Vertical V blocks are handy, we have several different sizes. We use the picture frame rails from 3R quite a bit also.

What RJT said exactly.. mounting a v block in 3R style vise makes life easy. We have some bought and some homemade as well. Also 3r style rails a very versatile(the ones that span the whole table).

The most difficult thing that we found to fixture was a mold ejector pin that needed a radius cut onto the end. Finally decided to design and make a fixture for this purpose. Closing the shop now, so it is for sale. Cheap if you or anyone else is interested.
DSCN1262.jpg
Heat treated 420ss milled nice and square and I was using it as was before I decided that it just Had to be heat treated. Probably could stand a clean up grind now.

The most difficult thing that we found to fixture was a mold ejector pin that needed a radius cut onto the end. Finally decided to design and make a fixture for this purpose. Closing the shop now, so it is for sale. Cheap if you or anyone else is interested.
View attachment 259719
Heat treated 420ss milled nice and square and I was using it as was before I decided that it just Had to be heat treated. Probably could stand a clean up grind now.

Just curious, why couldn't you use a 5c collet and collet block?

Making a couple 420ss fixtures at the moment, I am going to heat treat as recommended. Thanks!

Back