What's new
What's new

Cutting Titanium with Mits FX 10?

Petergun

Aluminum
Any one have a Epack # for cutting 1.25 thick Titanium with a Mits fx10 with .012 wire?
I do not have any info about cutting titanium in my books and I have to cut some small slots.
Thanks

Hi Petergun:
I've cut a lot of titanium and I've always just used steel settings and modified them as needed to keep from breaking the wire.
If you need them accurate it's worth making test cuts to fine tune the settings and the offsets.
If you don't, you can get away nicely with stock steel settings and just open up the gap a bit.

I've cut 4" Ti6Al4V that way without issues.

Do be aware that Ti bar stock is often full of stresses and will curl like a banana given half a chance.
Here's a photo of a slice that was cut from the end of a 2" bar.
It was programmed perfectly straight.

Cheers

Marcus
www.implant-mechanix.com
www.vancouverwireedm.com

Attachments

• DSCN5007.jpg
    DSCN5007.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 121
I always do a face cut if possible. If your trying to slice something thin and the opposite side has been ground there's a good chance it will curl like a banana. We usually will cut and trim the face then 1 cut it off leaving some grinding stock.

We cut Ti6Al4V nearly every week here in the shop I work at. We use sodick machines. To avoid curling of parts most of the items we cut have been annealed to remove stress.

Back