What's new
What's new

Cutting Tool distributor looking to add edm consumables to our offering

Shop Supply Guru

Hot Rolled
This is not spam I promise!

Just like the title says we are a very focused cutting tool distributor. We don't sell bolts we don't sell tp it's our MO to be very cutting tool focused and I think our clients like that. We sell a number of major lines and just about everything related to cnc machining short of machines and machine parts. The last 6 months I have gotten a lot of customers asking for me to supply edm consumables. I'll be honest I and my fellow salesmen know VERY little about EDM. A client of mine gave me the basics of wire and plunge.

That said I was hoping I could ask your advice on what lines and products to sell. Obviously wire but what brand etc and other than wire what else. Any help would be appreciated.

Hi Shop Supply Guru:
I wanna buy the stuff I need.
I need consumables all the time; wire, resin, flush cups, electrode copper, graphite, copper tungsten, hole popping trodes wire guides, the list goes on and on.

But I also want a couple of important other things.
I want to be able to buy the routine stuff just like I buy from McMaster, no bullshit, no yappage, no errors no problems; pick it from an on-line catalogue that's well laid out add it to my cart and hit the ship it now button.
I don't need singing dancing girls, and super graphics and all that flash animated wank; I just wanna buy EDM wire at a good price and know what it's gonna cost and when I'm gonna get it.

I also want advice from time to time, and I want to be able to call someone for recommendations on a special wire for a super tall workpiece in a difficult material.
I want to be able to order something special and not get raped for it,.
I want my sales guy to know what he/she's talking about and I want them to be civil, friendly and speak recognizable English I can understand.

That is how you can differentiate yourself from all your competition; if you're willing to make it easy for me I'll open my wallet for you and be your loyal buddy forever.
Offer a broad inventory of common stuff, keep a decent stock of it, make it easy to buy, and you'll do well.
Offer me a range of wires I can buy, be willing to sell me a single spool so I can try it, tell me how to run it, stock a good brand of econo wire and also some premium wires and HAVE THEM IN STOCK!

Stock resin...in small packs, and in bulk pails so I can buy what I can afford or what is convenient for me; if I just want enough for one bottle charge make it available, but if I want a thousand pounds I can get that too.

Sell 5 gallon pails of dielectric oil in all popular brands so I can top up my tank without having to buy and manage a 50 gallon drum when I only need 5 gallons.
Those are my needs and they are the needs of most of your customers.

BTW, my wire sales guys happen to be very good pretty much across the board (here's a shameless plug for Electrodes of Canada in Montreal...great company to deal with IMO)

Cheers

Marcus
Implant Mechanix • Design & Innovation > HOME
Vancouver Wire EDM -- Wire EDM Machining

Hi everyone, saw your requests on this post, we are a consumer supplier in China. We sell wires, spare parts,everything related to EMD machine. We have professional partner located in USA, I think they can help you with professional service. If you are in need of this,just let me know.

Just here to learn from professionals. I have been a consumables and spare parts dealer for almost 10 years( util this Nov. it will be 10), still have so much to learn. Do not get much chance to touch or operate machines,but I want to know them better, so can know more about how to help our customers. Many buyers of the factories can only send the picture of the parts they need, but they do not know the part number, that's one of the difficulties to find the part we need. Sometimes the factories that makes the parts here on our market, use their own parts number, then a lot of information to collect. If know the machines better, sure can recognize more parts.
We selling consumables and spare parts directly to factories domestically,to dealers overseas, most of the time, local professional helps are in need,we have local tech team here can visit factories directly,then help them to find the right parts,or fit consumables.

The wires for example, now the biggest zinc-oat wires makers, one from Germany, one from France. And there are also Korea wires too. Bedra wire, from Germany, they are setting plant in China,but the better quality wires now are still produced in Germany. France wire on the other hand, setting plant in Asia too,they only got small diameter wires produced in France. Korea wires are at lower price, but in quality,still not as stable as the others. The brands on market, most of them are OEM by these factories.
Filters,resin,these are produced in China, price is much much lower than Germany and Japan made.
Also spare parts, many of them are manufactured here now,the big difference of price compensate the difference of quality.

the big difference of price compensate the difference of quality.

Out of place to hear that from a culture that learned it was not so thousands of years ago.

Would you apply that standard to a life mate? A parent? A child? Safe food FOR feeding a family of a Saturday gathering dinner?

Maybe not?

How then does it apply to any other thing of value?

Up your game or be beaten in turn and turn again by less affluent countries who have not yet learned what China seems to wish to forget.

The "race to the bottom" is the American Disease.

Some things are poisonous if copied.

Out of place to hear that from a culture that learned it was not so thousands of years ago.

Would you apply that standard to a life mate? A parent? A child? Safe food FOR feeding a family of a Saturday gathering dinner?

Maybe not?

How then does it apply to any other thing of value?

Up your game or be beaten in turn and turn again by less affluent countries who have not yet learned what China seems to wish to forget.

The "race to the bottom" is the American Disease.

Some things are poisonous if copied.

From a culture of thousands years, we believe in learn from our competitors, to get a place of win-win in business.

We observe, study,improve ourselves. And try not to pre-judge anything new, or anything beyond our understanding.

Copy is poisonous,but Chinese made are not only copy now. To win the race, or at least still keep in the game, need to open eyes,open minds. That's our attitude for the race, for life.

We have a lot to learn, from you, from every advanced industry country. And we are,learning quickly. During this process,we also provide a lot economical products for the world, to make it easier for small business,small workshops, who can not afford high price, high cost. We help.

Thank you very much for your reply. It's important for us to know how people in the world seeing this process, then how to improve us.

From a culture of thousands years, we believe in learn from our competitors, to get a place of win-win in business.

We observe, study,improve ourselves. And try not to pre-judge anything new, or anything beyond our understanding.

Copy is poisonous,but Chinese made are not only copy now. To win the race, or at least still keep in the game, need to open eyes,open minds. That's our attitude for the race, for life.

We have a lot to learn, from you, from every advanced industry country. And we are,learning quickly. During this process,we also provide a lot economical products for the world, to make it easier for small business,small workshops, who can not afford high price, high cost. We help.

Thank you very much for your reply. It's important for us to know how people in the world seeing this process, then how to improve us.

Well said.

I am sure you realize it is hardly new, and has never been a one-way exercise, what with the footsteps of China's intrepid seekers on the "place where the Sun is born".

"Warring States Period", wasn't it? And not-only...

BTW.. We just call it the "Grand Canyon of the Colorado" in our era.

:)

Back