What's new
What's new

Dielectric condition

When the filters cannot clean up the oil, i.e. still really gritty feeling. Then change filter and clean tank. Pick someone who really p'd you off recently, it's a nasty job.

I purchased a 30+ year old lightly used XLO servo hydraulic ram sinker from my former employer when I started my own shop. I decided to change the dielectric over to Commonwealth because the old stuff was some really flammable paraffin like oil, and I liked to run it somewhat unattended. It was a messy job cleaning the grit out of the underneath mounted holding tank.

The interesting thing was when I drained and opened the inspection cover to get into the tank I found inside standing perfectly upright, lens side down, a 30+ year old steel flashlight. We surmise that it was like that from the factory after at least two moves several hundred miles down the highway since my former employer never recalled cleaning it.

Your local supplier can test it in their lab. We usually have ours checked every 5 years.

For what its worth, it has always been within spec. We use Common Wealth products.

I like to keep an eye on the Flashpoint.

And for what it's worth, if you clean the machine very well, fill with brand new oil, it may not work! Sometimes a little crud has to be added to help initiate the spark. Really clean oil is not a good thing.

Back