What's new
What's new

Dielectric Fluid

bob

Titanium
My Charmilles book suggests using Mobil Velocite 4 or 6 among others including kerosene. I always thought Velocite was just a light machine oil never occurred to me that it could be used in EDM. Anyone use it or know the difference to the specialty fluids?
Bob

Hi Bob,

I am almost certain these recommendations are meant for machine lubrication, although Mobil does recommend some grades for EDM. Click this link to read their specs of these products. With it's flash point of only 154 degrees, you may as well use kerosene! (but don't)

Advice: Only use dielectric oils that have been engineered specifically for EDM.

Bud

Ok... the age of the manual is a dead giveaway as Exxon and ExxonMobil haven't used the Esso name since 1973. Also, mineral seal oils are listed but they have long been considered hazardous by the OSHA Hazard Communication Standard (29 CFR 1910.1200) and haven't been used in EDM oils for 20 years. Additionally, the highest flash point on their list is only 158 degrees. The minimum flash point for any EDM oil should be no less than 180 degrees.

A lot has changed since your manual was printed and I certainly wouldn't use any of their recommendations. Call Charmilles service or applications and learn what they recommend. Other than this, I'll only repeat my previous advice: Use o
nly dielectric oils that have been engineered specifically for EDM.

Call Belmont EDM. I would recommend the EDM 244 by common wealth. No need to spend anymore money. I'm guessing it's an older manual sinker?

Perhaps tell us what machine you have.

The only reason I asked is because there is no local supplier. I took your advice and ordered some Commonwealth from a supplier in Toronto. Price was about the same as machine oil but shipping was pricey. That's the joy of living in an industrial wasteland.
Bob

Back