Diminishing WEDM filter performance
Close
Login to Your Account
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Posts
    265
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2
    Likes (Received)
    66

    Default Diminishing WEDM filter performance

    We have a Sodick slc600g WEDM, we cut a lot of steel and Aluminium, varying amounts but over time about 50/50 of each during a filters lifetime.

    Our filters used to last between 150-250 hours, and on odd occasion, up to 400 hours, but in the last couple changes weíve had only 35 hours between changes.

    The filters start at 0 MPa and require changing at 0.22 MPa. In these last two changes Iíve personally seen the pressure go from 0.1 MPa up to 0.22 MPa in a 5 hour window during roughing of 150mm steel.

    Iím convinced we have an issue or blockage somewhere but our Sodick tech doesnít seem to think we have an issue.

    This issue has also started at around the same time our PC mother board was updated to the latest version, weather that could have any effect on this issue? Since the new board has been in, the machine has been cutting like a dream, faster and with far less wire breaks, Iím even upping the settings to cut quicker then slowing them down to stop the wire breaking. I did think that by cutting harder, especially in Aluminium, that Iím creating bigger particles that are better at clogging the filters? Sounds plausible to me, but still a long shot given the around 80% reduction in filter performance.

    Or could this issue also be something to do with the deioniser bottle or chiller unit?

    Boss man isnít happy as these are genuine Sodick filters and arenít cheap.

    Has anyone experienced this issue or is familiar with these models of Sodicks? Before we think about getting it apart or further investigation, I thought Iíd ask the forum.

    Any help or advice would be appreciated.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Posts
    2,909
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    287
    Likes (Received)
    1604

    Default

    Drill holes in them when it says they are clogged and see if the pressure goes down.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    Posts
    16
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    2

    Default

    Have you checked the weirs? Mine had removable plates and if they were not all the way down, they would let swarf thru to the filters. Alsi, I once bought a wet grinder that had the weirs filled up to the point that everything just went over the top.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maryland
    Posts
    92
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    55
    Likes (Received)
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Luke.kerbey View Post
    We have a Sodick slc600g WEDM, we cut a lot of steel and Aluminium, varying amounts but over time about 50/50 of each during a filters lifetime.

    Our filters used to last between 150-250 hours, and on odd occasion, up to 400 hours, but in the last couple changes we’ve had only 35 hours between changes.

    The filters start at 0 MPa and require changing at 0.22 MPa. In these last two changes I’ve personally seen the pressure go from 0.1 MPa up to 0.22 MPa in a 5 hour window during roughing of 150mm steel.

    I’m convinced we have an issue or blockage somewhere but our Sodick tech doesn’t seem to think we have an issue.

    This issue has also started at around the same time our PC mother board was updated to the latest version, weather that could have any effect on this issue? Since the new board has been in, the machine has been cutting like a dream, faster and with far less wire breaks, I’m even upping the settings to cut quicker then slowing them down to stop the wire breaking. I did think that by cutting harder, especially in Aluminium, that I’m creating bigger particles that are better at clogging the filters? Sounds plausible to me, but still a long shot given the around 80% reduction in filter performance.

    Or could this issue also be something to do with the deioniser bottle or chiller unit?

    Boss man isn’t happy as these are genuine Sodick filters and aren’t cheap.

    Has anyone experienced this issue or is familiar with these models of Sodicks? Before we think about getting it apart or further investigation, I thought I’d ask the forum.

    Any help or advice would be appreciated.
    I run a ANL600G and you are not alone. I have noticed a big difference in my filter life on this machine. My AQ537L gets far better filter life same filters and we have a very good water system in our shop. I've actually blown one out on the ALN not long after changing them out. Not sure whats going on, but I have a service tech coming this week or next so I hope to ask some questions. Do you have any other issues with yours?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Posts
    265
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2
    Likes (Received)
    66

    Default

    Weíve had various minor issues, apart from a fried PC. but this one has us stumped. I did wonder if Sodick have changed who makes thier filters?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maryland
    Posts
    92
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    55
    Likes (Received)
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Luke.kerbey View Post
    Weíve had various minor issues, apart from a fried PC. but this one has us stumped. I did wonder if Sodick have changed who makes thier filters?
    Yeah thatís possible, something is different for sure. Keep me posted if ya here anything and Iíll do the same.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Auburn Hills, MI
    Posts
    273
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    53
    Likes (Received)
    80

    Default

    Luke,

    What micron rated filter are you using in your machine, and how many machining passes do you typically perform? In most cases, using a 10 micron rated filter will yield greater life, especially when cutting aluminum!

    - Brian

  8. Likes pb1 liked this post
  9. #8
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    110
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    60
    Likes (Received)
    23

    Default

    We are having the same issue. Sodick filters used to last 200-300 hours. Now we're lucky to get 100 hours out of them. We switched to Dynamic Filtration from SST and couldn't be more happy with them.

  10. Likes jz814 liked this post
  11. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maryland
    Posts
    92
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    55
    Likes (Received)
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Pfluger View Post
    Luke,

    What micron rated filter are you using in your machine, and how many machining passes do you typically perform? In most cases, using a 10 micron rated filter will yield greater life, especially when cutting aluminum!

    - Brian
    Ya I agree with you on the 10 micron. Pretty sure these are 5 micron filters. I only cut aluminum every once in a while on both of the machines, but it's just odd the difference I've noticed this past year on both machines running the same filters I have since 2008.

  12. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Posts
    265
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2
    Likes (Received)
    66

    Default

    Iíve mentioned about Aluminium filters and I think they would work as we can cut a ton of the stuff at times.

    But they arenít convinced because they donít seem to think they will be suitable for any steel at all?

    I think they must be effective on steel to some level? Iím gonna push the idea some more as I donít think theyíve really considered them enough.

    Iíve also noticed a slight slime inside my tank, is this a bacteria issue?

  13. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Auburn Hills, MI
    Posts
    273
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    53
    Likes (Received)
    80

    Default

    Luke,

    Using a larger micron rated filter will not impact general machining of Steel materials. The 10-micron filters are not just for Aluminum...they can be used for any material application where longer filter life is need, especially with large amounts of Rough Cutting.

    Depending on your applications and part needs, using a larger micron rated filter might impact the best possible accuracy (ultra-precision stuff like trying to split an atom) and the best possible surface finish the machine can produce. The large micron filters might present some surface finish issues when machining finishes below 0.25umRa (10uinRa) due to the increased amount of small particles (contamination) that are suspended in and floating around in the di-electric fluid.

    There is even larger micron rated filters available (15~25 micron), but there is a distinct trade-off that occurs with your overall consumables costs. Using filters that are rated larger than 10 micron will begin to impact the life of your DI-Resin, as the Resin begins to act like a filter and starts pulling out the larger particles that are in the water. There’s a balancing act here…longer filter life is great, but not at the expense of quickly depleting your DI-Resin. In my experience, using 10-micron rated filters provides the ideal balance point for extending filter life without impacting normal operations on the machine.

    -Brian
    Last edited by Brian Pfluger; 04-23-2021 at 07:40 AM.

  14. Likes cameraman, Orange Vise liked this post
  15. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Posts
    265
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2
    Likes (Received)
    66

    Default

    Brian,

    Thanks for the info. That makes perfect sense.

  16. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maryland
    Posts
    92
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    55
    Likes (Received)
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Luke.kerbey View Post
    We’ve had various minor issues, apart from a fried PC. but this one has us stumped. I did wonder if Sodick have changed who makes thier filters?
    Service tech was in yesterday. I brought up the issue with the filters. He said I wasn't the first to mention it to him, but he's doesn't know if they made any changes or not. I showed him where my MPa on the filter pressure was after 130hrs and he was a littler surprised. The only thing he thought was maybe they are dishing out "new" old stock
    because of shipping delays and what not.....so who knows, think I'm going to try something different out.

  17. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Posts
    265
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2
    Likes (Received)
    66

    Default

    Quick update,

    We took the pressure gauge out and tested it, the gauge was fine, however the 2mm ID tube that goes to the pressure gauge we think was blocked or contaminated. As it had a moderate black residue in the tube.

    We cleared the tube with an air line, reassembled and the pressure is more stable and filter hours are improving.

    Just slightly concerning the tube was so far contaminated.

  18. Likes Shane030173 liked this post
  19. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Posts
    3,866
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4351
    Likes (Received)
    1140

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Pfluger View Post
    Luke,

    Using a larger micron rated filter will not impact general machining of Steel materials. The 10-micron filters are not just for Aluminum...they can be used for any material application where longer filter life is need, especially with large amounts of Rough Cutting.

    Depending on your applications and part needs, using a larger micron rated filter might impact the best possible accuracy (ultra-precision stuff like trying to split an atom) and the best possible surface finish the machine can produce. The large micron filters might present some surface finish issues when machining finishes below 0.25umRa (10uinRa) due to the increased amount of small particles (contamination) that are suspended in and floating around in the di-electric fluid.

    There is even larger micron rated filters available (15~25 micron), but there is a distinct trade-off that occurs with your overall consumables costs. Using filters that are rated larger than 10 micron will begin to impact the life of your DI-Resin, as the Resin begins to act like a filter and starts pulling out the larger particles that are in the water. There’s a balancing act here…longer filter life is great, but not at the expense of quickly depleting your DI-Resin. In my experience, using 10-micron rated filters provides the ideal balance point for extending filter life without impacting normal operations on the machine.

    -Brian
    Dumb question here ~

    Is cutting a lot of aluminum using wire EDM a bad idea ?

    I.e. if you do high precision-ish (one to three micron straightness on certain part features ) and fine surface finishes on various ferrous based alloys 15% of the time and then spend the rest of the time doing a LOT of aluminum lower precision faster / rougher cut parts do all these "Janky" aluminum particles of an unfavorable particle size then compromise the higher precision (ferrous) work-flow on the same machine ? + compromise the intended performance of the machine [Resin vs larger micron rated filters etc. ].

    Just trying to get the gist of things here.

    Ta.


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •