What's new
What's new

edm female spline in gear

racinjason

Aluminum
Hi their i have no experince with edm but was told that would be the way to put a spline in an existing gear. The gear is about 6" diameter and has a 5/8 spline but we have trouble with this wereing out and want to increace the size of the pump shaft and need a way to put in the spline on a hardened gear. Thanks for any help

Jason

Through or blind?

Are you planning on doing this yourself or looking for someone to do it?

Yes, EDM is the way to go IMO.

There are surely some members (or non-members) in your area with the capability to do so.

We could do it here, but closer is better ... again, just my opinion.

RE my first question ...

... through would lend itself to wire-edm which requires less lead time and is easier to do, again just my opinion again.

... blind means it would have to be done in a sinker and require that an electrode or three be made before hand unless the party doing it just happened to have exactly the right electrode on hand.

We don't do sinker work here where I'm employed but I'm sure that someone near you has both capabilities.

Jason,

If you are looking for a shop to do this send me a sketch or print and I would be happy to give you a quote. I have wire and sinker EDM capability. I ship parts to and from all over the country. You are only as far away as the UPS man.
Send me a pm and I will send you my contact information.
Thanks, Brian

See?

BTW, why are you having problems with it wearing out?

Sounds like it's not the first time?!?!?

You really ought to look into that first.

It would be a shame to spend the time and money on this new gear and shaft only to have it wear out too.

Jason,

Be aware that if your gear is carburized and hardened, enlarging the ID will go through the carburizing layer, and you will then be into material that is "core hardness".

That may not be an issue for you since a spline that fits correctly on a shaft essentially has no movement, however if the gear is something that must slide axially on a shaft, it could be an issue.

I do a substantial amount of gear and spline cutting by wire edm, so even if you use a local shop to do the wire work, I'd be happy to supply geometry for you if you need any help in that regard.

PM

Jason,

The gear is about 6" diameter and has a 5/8 spline but we have trouble with this wereing out and want to increace the size of the pump shaft and need a way to put in the spline on a hardened gear.

I agree with KilrB, you need to figure out *why* the gear is wearing out rather than just keep replacing it.

A 6" gear with a 5/8 spline running a pump, depending on how it set up and what it is used for could be the real problem.

I am only making an assumption (yeah I know, bad idea :) ) but from your description quoted above, it sounds to me like there is also a motor involved? If the pump is a direct drive pump, then what is the gear used for? If it is a gear driven pump? then which side is the gear going on? Motor or pump side? also what size is the drive or driven gear? (If it is in fact a gear driven pump?)

It might not be a material or shaft/spline problem. It could very well be an application problem. Gear combinations have to be well meshed to prevent premature wear. :D

Regards

Bruce

Back