What's new
What's new

EDM RAM - Mult Machines Take different Times to Run Same Job

slevine98

Plastic
Hello all. Relatively new to EDM. I am running (3) identical Mitsubishi FP80V RAM's. One of them takes at least 20 minutes longer to run the identical job. Even Mitsubishi can't figure out why. So I am doing the SMART thing and going to the experts! Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Scott

Slightly different flushing conditions - stronger (or weaker)electrolyte pump?

Slight difference in cutting current calibration

Slight difference in servo loop parameters or response

Check work tank temperatures are the same

Epack settings, machine conditions, material, power supply, power service. There's a large amount of variables.

What are you burning?

Hi Scott,

I might be of some help, but sorry, not here… way too much info. So much in fact, it’s an entire article that can be found in the Winter issue of EDM Today magazine that should be arriving any day.

The article describes how 4 CNC sinkers within a production cell were tuned to perform within a 5% differential. This means that in a 1 hour burn, all 4 machines will finish within 3 minutes of each other. This process isn't difficult, but it is quite involved as the article will reveal.

Request: If you follow the article's instructions, come back and let us know your results.

Bud Guitrau

Scott,

Another item to consider is the condition and vintage of the di-electric oil that is in each machine.

Do you know the type and age of fluid in each of your machines?

If you are using a traditional petroleum base fluid, it will have a definitive useful life regardless of age. Think of this type of fluid like milk that has a set expiration date. As the fluid ages, its di-electric properties change, which can dramatically affect cycle time.

- Brian

Brian,

A good observation (as usual). Thanks!

All of the variable aspects of dielectrics, including vintage have their own section within the upcoming article. Nevertheless, I would appreciate any constructive criticism from you or any other readers on adding or improving any suggestion(s) described within the forthcoming article on "Production Sinker Performance".

Help us help each other, which is the basic tenet and purpose of this EDM forum. Thanks for this, Practical Machinist.

Bud Guitrau

Curious

Hey Scott,

Have you made any consistency improvements to your EDM cell? Curious about what you may have tried and what results were made.

Bud

Back