What's new
What's new

EDM Training Manual

preachinpilot

Aluminum
I downloaded the manual from reliable edm. ? looking for advise as to what electrode holders i need, how to mount the electrodes for a 5/8x 1 1/2 electrode for sinking a marking die with lettering. I just dont see any pictures anywhere. do i glue them onto a steel block?. ?

Make and model of machine would help to focus the question!

What have you on the end of your ram?

My ancient sinker EDM has a TG75 collet system, so mounting your block would consist of boring and fitting a suitable sized peg for one of my collets

You probably have something more modern like the 3R system, but if you don't tell us we will never know :)

Electrode material can be attached to a steel 'shank' either square or round with screws, clamps, conductive glue, or press fitted.

I trust screws more when taking heavy burns or when I really don't want the electrode material to move.

Some tooling systems are made to attach electrode material to and then be machined using the tooling system.

Sorry about that. I have a Charmilles D10 with P25 Generator. I have some tooling. I have 2 3r system pallets that have the 90 with clamping holes. I am thinking that the 2 I have will certainly serve for larger electrodes and I see how to mount the round nes by clamping. I suppose I need one that is short enough to mount the electrode by itself. Also I have the sys 3R mag chuck on my machine. I was also wondering how I could use the 20mm shanks on ebay cheap. DO I fixture my electrode to glue up square. etc. I am figuring things out as I work on getting the machine up and running but 0 knowledge except online videos which are so general as to be almost nothing. Also need some first hand advice on the manual d10. Thanks

I was not clear either. Attach lump of electrode material to a precision shank, be it round, square, or a 'vee' block, and then machine / grind electrode. There are no rules; if you can make your electrode and secure it to your machine with the desired degree of accuracy you are golden. Usually easier to mount to a precision 'shank' then machine.

Back