What's new
What's new

Which EDM wire cutting machine should I Buy.

ArturoMeltri

Plastic
Hello,

I want to buy a edm wire cutting machine, I have received several quotes from Sodick, Chmer and Accutex local distributors. I'm not an expert in EDM and I want to make the right choice.

Which machine should I choose from the following list:

Chmer GX640L with 600x400x300mm capacity.

Sodick VL600Q with 600x400x270mm capacity.

Accutex AL600SA with 600x400x300mm capacity.

In your opinion which machine is the best of the three options I have based on reliability, accuracy and cutting speed.

Thank you,
I really appreciate your comments.

First, I don't have any previous experience with these brands. I only have experience with Agie, Mitsubishi, Charmilles and Fanuc.

Sodick has been around the longest and probably has the better reputation of those three manufacturers.

What materials will be most common? What tolerances, surface finishes? Etc etc... Job shop work so whatever comes in, or do you have a product line? Plans for type of wire and (max) tapers you plan on cutting? Need some more info.

I normally work on hardened steels as D2 58-60 HRC, I need around 0.0003-0.0004 inches of tolerance and I need a good surface finish. I normally work on whatever comes in, but I'm specialized in die manufacturing. I'm expert in CNC machining so I don't know many details about EDM wire cutting machines. I'm quoting some punches that need to be cut in 10° slope.

I'm thinking about buying 0.010" and 0.004" tapers. For most of the works that I need to cut they ask for 0.010" wire.

Sorry for my english!!!

It really depends on your budget. I wouldn't go with the accutex. I've worked on Chmers a LOT, and have some Sodick experience. I would go with the Sodick if you don't have much experience, as the technology will be much better developed. I would also look into Fanuc machines. They are in the same price range as the Sodick, but I like the control better, personally.

We replaced an aging Charmilles with a Sodick in 08. Since then we have replaced another charmilles and a mits with Sodicks. They're great machines. If you're looking for finish Sodick is the way to go.

The CHMER machines are reliable and the accuracy is easily within your requirements. Another option is the AMS series of machines. AMS is a division of CHMER. They use linear motors and finish is very good.

Can you tell me which CHMER dealer you are dealing with? It seems like Chmer has various Sales & Support organizations in Mexico.

Just so you know that I am not an end user - I do work for EDM Network, Inc. in the US so I have over 15 years experience on these 2 products.

I’ve only ran Fanuc machines so I really couldn’t say. They are easy to maintenance and the newer Cam-i software is quite amazing for beginners or experts.
The newest machines can do a 15 Ra with a 5 pass. Anything better you would need to buy packs which can be pricey.
I’m currently running an A-oib, A-1ic and an A-c600ib with 16 inch Z travel. All nice machines.
The older ones have almost 30,000 hours with no real problems that couldn’t be fixed with a little pm’ing.

The CHMER machines are reliable and the accuracy is easily within your requirements. Another option is the AMS series of machines. AMS is a division of CHMER. They use linear motors and finish is very good.

Can you tell me which CHMER dealer you are dealing with? It seems like Chmer has various Sales & Support organizations in Mexico.

Just so you know that I am not an end user - I do work for EDM Network, Inc. in the US so I have over 15 years experience on these 2 products.

I would not trust the accuracy or reliability of a CHMER or AMS machine. A shop close to us in middle Tennessee purchased one of the AMS branded wire machines direct from EDM Network and they have yet to be able to produce consistently accurate parts on it. They had a Charmilles before that the AMS replaced that ran without issue, but was older and the electronics were beginning to be hard to find replacements of. EDM Network has not stood behind their product whatsoever and has left them with a lemon.

Hi Stutz:
Interesting comments; I also bought a Chmer wire EDM from EDM Network and my experience has been the opposite of your buddy's.
I've run mine for 6 years now and never a burp or a hiccup.

It was sold to me as a mid grade Chevy, not a Cadillac, and it's lived up to its claims very well.
I can't run it like a Makino, but I sure can make parts on it, and with care I can work within tenths.

I believe so long as you're realistic about the capabilities of what you bought, they're competitive machines that are a pretty good fit for many jobbing shops.

On the other hand, if your buddy is doing split tenths work the Chmer is the wrong machine for that application.

Cheers

Marcus
Implant Mechanix • Design & Innovation > HOME
Vancouver Wire EDM -- Wire EDM Machining

Marcus,

I was hoping you may chime in on this. His work is what I would categorize as split tenths and he was very up front with that fact before the purchase. We now do nearly all his tight tolerance work because of his trouble. Typical parts will have mostly plus/minus 5 tenths on everything with a few features being in the 2 tenth range. Holding concentricity and location to existing features has been a bigger problem than holding size, and it will vary from part to part. Not uncommon to be .002 to .003 out of location. Same parts on our machines check around .0002 or better. It has been frustrating to see a dealer not stand behind their products when it doesn’t perform as promised.

Stutz - You are making damaging statements but you do not identify your company or name. Can you identify yourself and the company and contact you are referring to? I am sure EDM Network would be glad to follow up.

Arturo - did you buy? Wondering what you purchased and what was the decision maker.

Hello! We bought the Sodick VL600Q, one of the most important points in the decision making was that the Chmer dealer didn't tell us that the Z height is reduced with the wire threading system Chmer uses, in the brochure the Z height seems to be 300mm but they don't consider the 30mm reduction of the system. We didn't like that because he never told us anything. The other big issue was the delivery time, Chmer dealer expected around 4-5 months till they deliver the machine. Sodick told us to wait 1 month, and the machine arrived 1 week and a half after we made the payment, it was a really good surprise! We have 2 months with the machine working around 14-15 daily without a single problem. Sodick Vl600Q is really easy to use and reliable.

Back