What's new
What's new

Elox-Fanuc 6MB bubble mem problems

FarmerFix

Plastic
Vintage 1985 Elox series Q with a Fanuc 6M model B, series ME3, version 07

History: been having power-up issues on occasion. The 5v was sagging and tweaking it up has had it working pretty reliably, so I know the caps in the powersupply need replacing. In a previous occupation, I did board repairs for such things, so it's been on the list for when it has available down time (next week).

Today we had thunderstorms roll through and we lost power several times, twice while the wire was cutting. The last time it refused to restart throwing the alarm LED on the power input board. Tweaking the 5v pot to as high as 5.3v didn't seem to help. I called Fanuc USA for tech support, and as expected they are more interested in selling us $9k of power supply boards than troubleshooting if one or the other be the cause, or if it's something further down line.

What I did to troubleshoot:
disconnect all connectors and +5 +24 +/-15 from the power stabilization board. Power came up with +5 at 5.30 (no load), but it wouldn't latch in. With power off I connected the +24 wires, pushed "ON", measured at 24.01v, and everything seemed fine, but no latch. I connected the small gray wire to the +5 and the board power latched on. Powered off, connected the +/-15 and ALA ALB wires, CN35 and CN 34, and it powered up fine. Likely problem(s): capacitors need replacing, that running it for a bit longer than the monitor circuit signals 'alarm', it stabilizes sufficiently to keep running.

However, in all that, I wasn't looking at the screen, and now that it's powering up, it threw a "901" error. In deciphering the Engrish of the manual, with a liberal use of Google to interpret to plain English via others who've chased that rabbit, I tried several times to input the bubble memory data as printed on the BMU board and as instructed by Apendix 5 of the manual, but on pressing "START" to write the data it's throwing an "Alarm 05".

Questions:
Is the BMU dead?

If the BMU is possibly ok, what am I doing wrong, or what do I need to do to get this going?

Are all the machine params lost as well? I'm not sure we have them recorded (I've only been working here 2 months, and EDM isn't my department). If so, would Agie (bought Elox years ago) possibly have them and make them available without breaking the bank?

Meanwhile, I'm back to making chips to keep the company making a few bucks. Any suggestions or other needed info, I'll check back in this evening.

Thanks for any help available.

Is it something I did in troubleshooting, or is this just S* happens?

Probably better to post in the CNC section.

I don't remember how to get there, but the 6MB has very advanced diagnostics functions. I have had the main PC board shit out and a bubble board go bad.

I have a complete 6MB control with 256K bubble board and power supplies all from a good working machine I scrapped earlier this summer.

Probably better to post in the CNC section.

I don't remember how to get there, but the 6MB has very advanced diagnostics functions. I have had the main PC board shit out and a bubble board go bad.

I have a complete 6MB control with 256K bubble board and power supplies all from a good working machine I scrapped earlier this summer.

Good call, much more exposure out there!

Back