What's new
What's new

Elox sinker power settings for rough and polish

Raayaa1962

Plastic
Hi.
My sinker guy is out for the next few weeks due to the current crisis. I have been thrust in the role of making stamps on the sinker machine, something I haven't done before. There are no power settings to speak of in the manual nor did the previous operator write anything down. If anyone can provide me with any power setting using a graphite electrode and steel or carbide workpiece, I would appreciate it.

Hi Raayaa 1962:
Can't you just phone him?
I assume this is an older manual machine where you can't just look up the tech on the control from a previous program.

If so, you'll never get there without the burn tables unless you have a lot of experience with this PARTICULAR machine and can fake it.
Each machine model has its own settings so the settings for my Hansvedt will not work correctly on your Elox and the settings for one model of Elox will likely not work correctly on another model of Elox.

It is true that there are general principles you can follow that will let you get into the ballpark, but so far as I know, the burn tables are specific to the model and are the result of a lot of research by the machine builders.
So at a minimum let us know the model of sinker you're running and maybe someone in the EDM community has the same machine and can help you.
You can burn with the wrong settings and it will make a noise and erode the workpiece, but for efficient burning with minimum electrode wear and the proper overburn and finish, you need the tables.

But I'd just phone the machine operator and ask him.

Cheers

Marcus
Implant Mechanix • Design & Innovation > HOME
Vancouver Wire EDM -- Wire EDM Machining

I wish phoning him was an option, but he is one of those people who practice job security by not passing on their knowledge willingly. He was asked to train someone months ago but refused and because he has been here for 20+ years and this is a large corporation, the issue was dropped. And then there is a language barrier. He is good at his job but can be a bit touchy. Anyway, the sinker is a ELOX sinker ASTRA 50S. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Back