What's new
What's new

External filter

Motorsports-X

Hot Rolled
Does anyone make a external filter for a single wire edm? I'm thinking of Something like a vortex filter or some other sort of mechanical filter with the intake and output both in the tank. Our tank gets super filthy during the run.. I figure it's all Going thru the machine filters anyways.. Why not get some of it out before it gets there.. Does this exist?

On the face of it, it'd be easy to implement, just get a decent size cartridge or bag filter housing and add a pump.
BUT!!!
The problem is how you're going to control it and tell it to go ON when machining, but definitely go OFF when not!

Depending on how your machine is set up, the best scenario I came up with ( never implemented it though ) is to take the output of the machining tank
and let it flow into a separate double section tank ( made on your own!!! )
The first section is where the dirty water flows into. Install a pump that takes this and pumps it into the other section through a filter.
Then, this semi-clean section is what overflows back into the dirty side of the reservoir.
Sounds simple right?
Except it would be a bitch to have to walk around all the time.

A much simpler solution I actually installed on the Brothers is to take the drain plug on your dirty reservoir, connect a hose to it which is on the suction
side of a shallow well pump.
The pump is now sucking from the dirty tank, pumps into a #2 filter bag, and then it discharges back into the dirty tank to be rinsed and repeated ...
Simple right?
Except it really doesn't give you much of a relief, as your main filters typically get clogged by the extra fine debris which this extra filter doesn't take out,
and then,
you're still left with an insanely dirty machining tank ...

I feel your pain man!
It sucks to be dealing with the dirt...

I'm interested in centrifugal type filtration.. Or Something that doesn't require media. I mean.. They use centrifuges to separate uranium 235 and 238 so surely separation of carbon particles is Doable.

Swimming pool filters work well. You need to backwash often so you will use more water and resin, but other than that your filter life will be really good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The centrifugal filter used to be owned by ONA and was not available for sale separately.
But...this past IMTS I saw it for sale by itself...
It was an Asian manufacturer.
I looked for the info I took from him, but can't find it.
The booth was very small and was located near Fanuc if anyone else remembers...

Jay Crumb

I can't see it being overly worth it...we run our wires 24/7 50 weeks a year. The machines have dual filters which we change maybe every 4-6 months, the resin bottles last about 1 month. The water is usually black, we are machining tantalum. What is your change interval?

Back