What's new
What's new

Fanuc 1994 EDM Without Autothreading?

JJos

Plastic
I would like to learn more about wire EDM, I came across a Fanuc Robocut that I believe I can get for 6-7000, but it doesn't have the tube above the head which I think means that it doesn't have autothreading, can anyone confirm that? why would someone have a EDM without autothreading? is it worth considering?

What size? I assume its either the OA/ OB/ OC?

Not having autothreading isn't terrible for toolroom type work. If you are around to keep an eye on it I really like them for the simplicity. You won't have much luck running night burns though.

As for the machine itself, If its one of the old 0 series, they are worth maybe 4-5k. This is coming directly from methods, If I remember correctly they wont even take them on trade in anymore.

The biggest problem with those old fanucs is they did not come equipped with glass scales like the new machines, so doing tight tolerance work is can be problematic, especially if you have to make a part that fits precisely with somebody else wire work (a punch that fits a retainer somebody else burned for example). The bigger the work piece, the more pronounced of a problem this could be.

Another word of caution, the part support for machines through methods is something like 20-25 years, so if you have a problem, you are on your own to find parts.

Edit:

Also note, depending on how much its been run, you could expect to need to sink another couple thousand into guides and contacts right off the bat. If the guides are bad, its an incredible pain to rethread the wire by hand.

What size? I assume its either the OA/ OB/ OC?

Not having autothreading isn't terrible for toolroom type work. If you are around to keep an eye on it I really like them for the simplicity. You won't have much luck running night burns though.

As for the machine itself, If its one of the old 0 series, they are worth maybe 4-5k. This is coming directly from methods, If I remember correctly they wont even take them on trade in anymore.

The biggest problem with those old fanucs is they did not come equipped with glass scales like the new machines, so doing tight tolerance work is can be problematic, especially if you have to make a part that fits precisely with somebody else wire work (a punch that fits a retainer somebody else burned for example). The bigger the work piece, the more pronounced of a problem this could be.

Another word of caution, the part support for machines through methods is something like 20-25 years, so if you have a problem, you are on your own to find parts.

Edit:

Also note, depending on how much its been run, you could expect to need to sink another couple thousand into guides and contacts right off the bat. If the guides are bad, its an incredible pain to rethread the wire by hand.

Thanks for the reply,

Plan is to cut small stamping dies, max work size will be 8" x 4", I can see how not having scales will make the work harder, any specific age/brand to look for?

Are you burning the entire die (as in upper and lower steels)?

If so than there is really no need to be concerned, a punch and retainer burned on the same machine should fit together.

Or are you just making the die sections? If they are not tight fine blanking trim steels you probably still will be ok. +/- 0.001 accuracy is plenty fine when you are working with a decent die clearance (say 0.004 a side or more?).

The problems will arise when you are trying to make tight fitting details work with parts made on other machines.

I am a big fan of the new fanucs. I know the 1ia/1ib machines came with glass scales and are very reliable. I don't know if the 0i machines had scales or not.

One of the guys at methods told me they usually offer 10-15k for trade in on the early 2000's 1i series machines. I would think this puts the realistic used value a 20 or so.

IMO buying a used WEDM is kind of risky unless its fairly new. If you know the machine (as in worked on it at the shop selling it) thats one thing. But buying blind could be trouble. I've given up on buying a used edm, I plan to buy new at some point.

Its the whole die or better progressive die, piercing forming and blanking, material is 0.006" silver so we need high accuracy.

Back