What's new
What's new

Fanuc core stitch

Hi Moto,

You asked about Fanuc machines, but a small back-story first. “Core-Stitch” is patented and trademarked by Seibu of Japan, but is presently licensed for use by Fanuc EDM and is available on these machines also. Here is an excerpt about Seibu's "Core-Stitch" feature from my article on "Slug Management". It's not much, but it's what I was given.

Article excerpt.jpg

Every WEDM’er knows that when certain system conditions allow it (when the DI water conditions and carbide contacts are bad), you will encounter what is called “brassing”. This is when a small amount of brass from the EDM wire plates onto the freshly cut surface. In Seibu’s “Core-Stitch”, these conditions have been manipulated to exaggerate the "brassing" condition to completely bridge the upper region of the wire gap with brass (see phantom side view).

I am aware of at least two other Japanese OEMs who also have this “stitching” capability (including trademarks), but they are not advertised or sold because of existing patent issues. I would suspect the European builders also have something like this.

Check both Seibu's and Fanuc's literature and web-sites for more info.

Bud Guitrau

Hi Moto,

You asked about Fanuc machines, but a small back-story first. “Core-Stitch” is patented and trademarked by Seibu of Japan, but is presently licensed for use by Fanuc EDM and is available on these machines also. Here is an excerpt about Seibu's "Core-Stitch" feature from my article on "Slug Management". It's not much, but it's what I was given.

View attachment 223698

Every WEDM’er knows that when certain system conditions allow it (when the DI water conditions and carbide contacts are bad), you will encounter what is called “brassing”. This is when a small amount of brass from the EDM wire plates onto the freshly cut surface. In Seibu’s “Core-Stitch”, these conditions have been manipulated to exaggerate the "brassing" condition to completely bridge the upper region of the wire gap with brass (see phantom side view).

I am aware of at least two other Japanese OEMs who also have this “stitching” capability (including trademarks), but they are not advertised or sold because of existing patent issues. I would suspect the European builders also have something like this.

Check both Seibu's and Fanuc's literature and web-sites for more info.

Bud Guitrau

Thank you Bud for that info. I would think that the deposits of brass could leave the part with a less than acceptable surface finish? And if the operator has to go in and manually "clean up" where the stitch was are they really gaining much in time savings from dropping slugs with a .020" tab? I may be missing it. Interesting idea and my employer is really talking this up for out next machine but I'm a little hesitant.

Moto said: "I may be missing it. Interesting idea and my employer is really talking this up for out next machine but I'm a little hesitant."

Moto,

Glad to detect this "I'm a little hesitant", nuance in your post. If you have anything to do with the selection process and especially if you are expected to operate this machine for a living, then all of the reasons behind your trepidation of, "... but I'm a little hesitant", should be addressed by your supplier(s) to your satisfaction, before any machine-tool acquisition can honestly be made.

Just sayin'...

I purchased a Fanuc with this function. I have not had a part that has worked well for this. The part needs to be thicker than 1 inch. The process definitely slows down during the stitching process. It would be great for a shop that sets up a plate with numerous cavities that can be run overnight. Then you can come in and knock out the slugs and do the skims. It could save a lot of cuts and threads on the cutoffs. It can be an issue with a wire break. It can not retrace through the stitched areas, so it would have to cut the cavity again. This machine has been very good to me, and would definitely recommend the Fanuc. But I have not had a good use for the stitch function yet.

Great article! We just bought a fanuc with this core stitch function. I am thinking of using it with small parts that I want to run as stacked plate. I understand the core stitch works at the top of the cut, what about the bottom of the cut also? I would like stitching top and bottom of the plate stack to hold the parts within captive. I have no idea whether this is realistic or if it would in actuality work as required.... Any ideas or comments?

many thanks,
James

Hi,
I have a machine with this function now. Any updates? Have you had more experience with this function? Is it working for you?

cheers, Jamess

I just bought a fanuc Alpha C 400 iB. Do you have the CAMi software? It gets delivered soon. We are looking forward to playing with it..

The core stitch is very interesting for us. I will experiment.

cheers, James

Hi,
yes offered with all their latest wire machines, no idea how old it is. You can do everything and more on your pc which is then directly connected to the machine via your network. Seems very useful and lots of guys are using it...

cheers, James

We use Mastercam for milling, turning, live tool lathe, and wire . Several seats with well tuned posts. Looked at FAPT several years ago but never tried it.

Back