What's new
What's new

Fanuc edge finding problem.

pmack

Cast Iron
I have a 2000 model Fanuc A-0ic with AWT that I am having an edge-finding issue with. It has always performed edge finding accurately up until Monday.
Most of the time it will repeat within .0001, now it won't repeat within .002 and is sometimes throwing Alarm 67 "Measuring Error".
Has anyone dealt with this before? Suggestions? Details below.

Material: Any I have tried.
Wire:Hard Brass Electro-cut .010 diameter
Guides:New(less than 10 hrs)
Power feed contacts: New 20 hours ago, just cleaned and indexed yesterday.
Resistivity: 5.0

Already tried: Indexed brake wheel, cleaned lower ceramic roller(checked bearings too), checked all bearings for wire rollers(Replaced two bearings-I thought it might be wire flutter), checked pinch rollers, cleaned lower water jet tube, cleaned and re-attached table grounds.

I have a 2000 model Fanuc A-0ic with AWT that I am having an edge-finding issue with. It has always performed edge finding accurately up until Monday.
Most of the time it will repeat within .0001, now it won't repeat within .002 and is sometimes throwing Alarm 67 "Measuring Error".
Has anyone dealt with this before? Suggestions? Details below.

Material: Any I have tried.
Wire:Hard Brass Electro-cut .010 diameter
Guides:New(less than 10 hrs)
Power feed contacts: New 20 hours ago, just cleaned and indexed yesterday.
Resistivity: 5.0

Already tried: Indexed brake wheel, cleaned lower ceramic roller(checked bearings too), checked all bearings for wire rollers(Replaced two bearings-I thought it might be wire flutter), checked pinch rollers, cleaned lower water jet tube, cleaned and re-attached table grounds.

One thing you didn’t say you checked: are you absolutely sure you’re making good contact with the workpiece? Whenever I have a problem picking up and get that alarm, it’s pretty much always been the problem.

There have been times where I’ve gone over the piece with sandpaper where I’m going to pick up on it (I even have long thin strips cut up to clean the little start holes), and it still won’t pick up correctly so I’ll push the wire against the piece with my finger and look at the short indicator, and have been surprised to find sometimes there’s still have more cleaning to do.

It’s expected on parts just back from heat treat but sometimes regular soft steel will need more cleaning than usual too.

One thing you didn’t say you checked: are you absolutely sure you’re making good contact with the workpiece? Whenever I have a problem picking up and get that alarm, it’s pretty much always been the problem.

There have been times where I’ve gone over the piece with sandpaper where I’m going to pick up on it (I even have long thin strips cut up to clean the little start holes), and it still won’t pick up correctly so I’ll push the wire against the piece with my finger and look at the short indicator, and have been surprised to find sometimes there’s still have more cleaning to do.

It’s expected on parts just back from heat treat but sometimes regular soft steel will need more cleaning than usual too.

Thank you, but I don't think that is what's going on. I've tried multiple pieces, and it is a ground finish. The short light seems to be flashing(like it detects/losses signal)more than normal when it throws the alarm.

I'm currently using The POS tension meter the company purchased with the machine.....THE Unnamed POS consistently has me chasing tension for repeatability...

The next one is going to be this model...

Makino Part #DX2-3000-EDM-MA

I think, that is the right part number...

The upper head houses a spring loaded ruby guide that pushes the wire against the upper power feed contact-it just needed to be indexed. There are 8 indexes possible. A huge thanks to David at Meredith Machinery for pointing me in the right direction!

Back