What's new
What's new

Fanuc EDM Wirer "FANUC_ALPHA_1C" Angled Hole

DanBracken

Plastic
Hi all,

We have a relatively new machine that I have an issue with.
Its not an issue with the machine, but an issue with not knowing how to program it correctly....

We use it for keywaying and profiling, but have never come across this before. (as we have never done anything like this before...)

I have a billet that I need to put an Ø45mm hole through the centre @ 8 degrees. (please see attached)jig.jpg

We have tried and tested but it only wired a tapered hole which created a cone.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
Dan

Hi all,

We have a relatively new machine that I have an issue with.
Its not an issue with the machine, but an issue with not knowing how to program it correctly....

We use it for keywaying and profiling, but have never come across this before. (as we have never done anything like this before...)

I have a billet that I need to put an Ø45mm hole through the centre @ 8 degrees. (please see attached)View attachment 272188

We have tried and tested but it only wired a tapered hole which created a cone.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
Dan

1. Easiest way to cut it would be to set up the billet on the 8 degree angle. Then it is pretty straightforward. Start hole would need to be drilled on that angle also. Poor flushing though.
2. Another way would be to program it with 4 axis software. Start hole can be drilled square to the base if it doesn't interfere with the contour. Or with a good 4 axis program, it could be programed with an "angled hole startup".

It looks like you can use a straight start hole. Personally I would program it as a 4 axis cut. If you dont have the capability or it is outside your comfort zone then go the sine plate route.

It looks like you can use a straight start hole. Personally I would program it as a 4 axis cut. If you dont have the capability or it is outside your comfort zone then go the sine plate route.

I agree with this. I have an old cheaper wire edm but brand new software to program it. Seems to me that if one could afford to get a new wire EDM the software is like a 6% of that cost after thought. I run camtek/opticam classic/peps I have very few problems with it. I know that peps is also sold as plugins for a lot of other software, and you can get a version that would run inside solidworks. mine is stand alone because it will deal with / generate my old ct tec files.

Back