What's new
What's new

Fanuc Robocut

J.T.

Plastic
So I have a two part question. I should start with some back story I guess. I am a one man machine shop, I have two Robodrills, a Mori turning center and the related support equipment. I want to grow my shop, as I'm finding I can't flip enough parts on my own to pay myself very much. I could add an employee, I really don't want to. This topic has been covered more than once on PM. I was thinking of adding a wire machine to the mix to generate additional income.

So my first question is, does it make sense to add a wire. My thought process is that given how slowly a wire cuts, I could have that setup and running, while I throw parts in a Robodrill. I could bounce back and forth and have more machines running at the same time. Does this make sense? Or have I been in Colorado too long?

The second part is Robocuts. Given how happy I am with my Robodrills and Methods support (it is really good, a shout out to Darren, my sales guy for taking care of me), my first thought is to look at Fanuc for the wire. I don't think I've ever seen a Robocut in person. Almost every EDM shop I've been in had Charmilles machines. Are there any Robocut owners out there? And why don't I see any. Should I skip Methods on this and get a Charmilles?

Any thought would be greatly appreciated. Also, I don't want this to turn into a "my CAM system can beat up your CAM system" kind of thread, pick your poison and f'in work with it, it's not the best, but it's what your work with, good and bad.

Back