What's new
What's new

Floppy on a Mits FX-10

RLance

Plastic
I have had this problem a few times in the past and somehow got away from it without even knowing for sure how I did it. We load most programs off of the old 720 floppy. today it keeps telling me;
MFD ERRORSTATUS: FILE FORMAT ERROR Then at the bottom of page it repeats the MFD ERROR in Yellow.

We buy the 720 floppys new from Staples I think. Tried many different ones and nothing hepls. These are programs that we have used before so I don't think thats it. It was workin Friday when I left. This damn Mits is kinda like Christmas, you never know what you'll have in morning. Think maybe the deck shot craps. Any one had this before give a shout. Thanks.
Lance.

I have had this problem a few times in the past and somehow got away from it without even knowing for sure how I did it. We load most programs off of the old 720 floppy. today it keeps telling me;
MFD ERRORSTATUS: FILE FORMAT ERROR Then at the bottom of page it repeats the MFD ERROR in Yellow.

We buy the 720 floppys new from Staples I think. Tried many different ones and nothinhepls. These are programs that we have used before so I don't think thats it. It was workin Friday when I left. This damn Mits is kinda like Christmas, you never know what you'll have in morning. Think maybe the deck shot craps. Any one had this before give a shout. Thanks.
Lance.

I can't imagine staples carries 720 floppies in 2013!! It's been years , but you need to format the disk a special way (720k)

First thing I would do is format a disk in the controller and copy an existing program onto the floppy. This way you will know if the drive is good. If the file transfers, its your disk or format on it. If it doesn't copy the prg, its ur drive..

Do yourself a favor and set the rs232 up, so much easier to transfer. We just use hyperterminal to send files over. If u like I can send the .ht program or just send u the settings..

Like I said I really don't remember for sure where we got the floppys but we bought a truck load from somwhere. Turns out the floppy unit was dirty. My IT guy cleaned it and got it to work again. I do have the rs 232 working but it seems to be more work than carrying a floppy to the machine, at least the way this one is set up. I use it on the old Makino and its great but the FX seems to be a pain. Any info on the way you do it would be great. Thanks.
Lance

We had for a while the very same problem. We would find the ONLY win98 machine in all the land so we could format to 720 K and they would work for a while but before too long they would fail and give the same MFD failure warning that you are seeing. What we did was to get one of the USB memory stick drives that are available on Ebay and some other vendors. We did need to get the jumpers configured correctly, which took a couple of trys but now we dont need ti deal with floppy discs anymore. I will post back with the model # if you think that option would work for you...it was around $200.00 US I believe.

We had for a while the very same problem. We would find the ONLY win98 machine in all the land so we could format to 720 K and they would work for a while but before too long they would fail and give the same MFD failure warning that you are seeing. What we did was to get one of the USB memory stick drives that are available on Ebay and some other vendors. We did need to get the jumpers configured correctly, which took a couple of trys but now we dont need ti deal with floppy discs anymore. I will post back with the model # if you think that option would work for you...it was around $200.00 US I believe.

Lemme get this straight - you did this on a Mitsubishi WEDM? Which model? Yes, most certainly please post model numbers and jumper settings!

That's funny because I was only able to format the 720 on a real old winNT at the shop...

USB is kinda cool, but why is everyone against the rs232?

Seems easiest to me.

Our machine supports DS 720 diskettes only too. But you could turn your 1.44mb diskette to 720k easily. Just cover the hole at the bottom right with tape (both sides). I am not sure that the more recent drives still have this capability, but trying wouldn't hurt. It works for me.

Alex

dd_vs_hd.jpg

USB is kinda cool, but why is everyone against the rs232?

Steve, it's not so much that everyone is against it, rather that it's yet another cable to run and commo settings for every other machine are different. The ability to simply slap a stick into a slot has a lot of appeal for many of us. Especially when one considers that almost everything else in the world has a USB port these days.

We have fitted a USB emulator to an FXK machine and it works fine, the details are as follows:
Supplier: PLR Electronics (google them, they are in USA)
order the D028 (SY) drive (approx $200)
set the dip switches: 1-OFF, 2-ON, 3-ON, 4-ON, 5-ON, 6-OFF, 7-OFF, 8-OFF.
and it worked for us.
Good luck. The only thing you can't do is load your system software on them, but keep the original FDD in a clean safe place and hey presto.

We have fitted a USB emulator to an FXK machine and it works fine, the details are as follows:
Supplier: PLR Electronics (google them, they are in USA)
order the D028 (SY) drive (approx $200)
set the dip switches: 1-OFF, 2-ON, 3-ON, 4-ON, 5-ON, 6-OFF, 7-OFF, 8-OFF.
and it worked for us.
Good luck. The only thing you can't do is load your system software on them, but keep the original FDD in a clean safe place and hey presto.

Just curious, if we were able to put the system files onto the USB, would the machine read it off of it most likely ?? Only asking because this would make the USB ideal for. Me to invest in..

Also, anyone try this on the older machines (c7 control on a m35k??) I would assume it would prob work as disks can be shared between c11 and c7 controls..

Just curious, if we were able to put the system files onto the USB, would the machine read it off of it most likely ?? Only asking because this would make the USB ideal for. Me to invest in..

Also, anyone try this on the older machines (c7 control on a m35k??) I would assume it would prob work as disks can be shared between c11 and c7 controls..

Sadly, it's not that simple to put the system files on a USB for a Mits EDM. The system disks, language disks, etc are not in standard formats that a Windows computer can deal with. In fact, a standard PC floppy drive does not even possess the hardware capability to read the system disks at all.

MC Machinery (Mits) recently came out with a full USB replacement drive for the floppy disk drives in all of their machines. The OEM floppy drives are no longer available and can be hard to find on the secondary or used market. The emulator offered by Mits are a little pricey but for good reason, these are very well built and surprisingly complex units. I know them well as I am also a dealer for the company that makes the emulators however supplier agreements prevent me from selling them for a Mitsubishi EDM. They even have a model that adds networking support, and if you have multiple machines you can share one unit between machines which helps knock down the cost a bit.

The Ebay units are all made in China and many are way overpriced for what they are. There are two basic units that are prolific on there, the PLR version which is made by Richpeace in China and sells factory direct for about $100, and the other version which is often touted to be "Designed for XXXX" machine which is just a sticker on a $15 drive made by a Chinese company named Gotek, although they are frequently sold on Ebay for $80-$350 each. There are about 6 different versions of those depending on which format they are supposed to emulate, and many of them require specially formatted USB thumb drives. There are other more serious hardware issues with both of these units but I won't bother to get into them here.

All told, being in the EDM repair business and well knowing the need for such an item I researched this for MONTHS and ultimately came to the conclusion that the only effective product on the market that is a full replacement for a Mitsubishi EDM is the one sold by the factory. Some of the cheaper emulators may work with limited success for loading programs but for loading software the Ebay drives simply can't handle doing multiple or non standard formats.

OK shameless plug time: If you have a Sodick, Charmilles, Agie, or any CNC machine with a floppy drive that you would like to upgrade to USB or USB+Network I would love to work with you. I can even set these up to be shared between multiple machines and I have the ability to digitize your original disks no matter what the format.

Got the PM thanks! I 'll be getting back soon as we will be keeping the FX-10 and needing an upgrade of some kind. Sorry for the slow replies to this, but things been pretty hectic round here. Getting ready to move out the EC3040 and get the new machine in. Having to tear down a wall and move other machinery to do so. Thanks for all the help

Hi, just to keep this thread updated to latest news.

At Mitsubishi EDM USA, now you can order a non-chinese USB
and/or 10Mbit Network floppy retrofit that is 100% complete:
- full support for system disks
- full support for program disks
- you get your system disks digitalized as regular files

Available for all Mitsubishi controllers, from 8 bit oldest to modern 64bit.

If you're not located in USA, you can refer directly to EmbeddedSW (search for EMUFDD)

Mitsubishi fx10

I have the problem from mitsubishi fx10, ut haven't isolation transform, now the problem is input power RYB, pls guide me the input voltage 200..

Mitsubishi fx10
I have the problem from mitsubishi fx10, I haven't isolation transform, now the problem is input power RYB, pls guide me the input voltage 200V.. How can I solve..

Back