What's new
What's new

General Settings for Hole Popper

bcprint3d

Plastic
I am fairly new to EDM. At my shop we have a small hole popper for doing start holes for our wire EDM. I am looking for some help in what settings to play with for optimizing speed vs electrode wear. Currently we are getting 300% or more wear on the electrodes. I have messed with T-on/T-off and V-Gap, but have not had much luck. The manual for the machine does not contain much useful information.

A nudge in the right direction would be very helpful.

1mm brass tube T on 10 t off 25 ip9 45 volt 13 amp 50% wear
1.5 mm brass tube T on 15 t off 20 Ip 9 45 volt 15 amp 30% wear
2mm brass tube T on 30 t off 15 Ip 9 40 volt 19 amp 30% wear

Out of our manual.

Tried to scan a few pages, but file to large to attach here.

We do a lot of 0.8 holes in 80mm thick steel, 70% wear is absolutely normal.

We do a lot of 0.8 holes in 80mm thick steel, 70% wear is absolutely normal.

Perhaps I am not understanding the wear amounts. For us, the wear is almost 3:1 with a 1mm electrode. For example, if I have a 3 inch thick piece of material it takes about 9 inches of feed on electrode to get through the part.

Out of our manual.

Thanks that, I will give those settings a try.

What I am really looking for is advice on how the changing the settings affects the cutting. Does more time on increase or decrease electrode wear? Same thing with time off, amps, voltage, gap and cap(capacitance?).

If you fed in 9 inch to cut 3 inch that’s going to be 200% wear.

As feeding in 3 inch to cut 3 inch would be 0%.

Out of our manual.

Hey RJT,
What would your general settings be for a .2mm brass tube?

I have been doing a ton of these and I am getting some excessive wear, or at least I feel I am. I have a good steady burn, but Im looking at 300% wear in 1/2in PH4140.

Any advice and I would be grateful
Thanks

Hey RJT,
What would your general settings be for a .2mm brass tube?

I have been doing a ton of these and I am getting some excessive wear, or at least I feel I am. I have a good steady burn, but Im looking at 300% wear in 1/2in PH4140.

Any advice and I would be grateful
Thanks
The hardest part with getting down to electrodes that small is getting a steady burn. If you've got that down then I wouldn't go messing with it. I would say 300% is pretty normal for a .2mm electrode

Reactions: JZ.
The hardest part with getting down to electrodes that small is getting a steady burn. If you've got that down then I wouldn't go messing with it. I would say 300% is pretty normal for a .2mm electrode
Sounds good, I was kind of feeling that way. I haven't been able to get any better without getting an unstable burn or bending the crap out of the trode. Thanks for the reply, appreciate it.

Back