What's new
What's new

Getting a new Sodick wire edm

JZ.

Aluminum
Hey guys,
I'm getting a new Sodick ALN600G this week and besides from what I can read about them online, I'm curious about some of the newer features they have. I've been running an AQ537L since 2010, what's new to me is the Smart Pulse Generator and the Taper Flex package up to 22°.

Those of you who have a Sodick with these features, has the Smart Pulse benefited you with your wire work? I typically do 1 rough and 3 skims so I am anxious to see how this affects my normal process.

And the Taper Flex, does this require any extra attention as far as programming? Going past 10° will be new to me as far as 4 axis cutting.

I get 3 days of training which is good, but I wanted to check with the real world to get some more info and see what ppl have experienced.

Thanks

No experience with the newer machines, but we machine 4 axis almost daily, ranging from 5-15deg without issues....

Is the Taper flex a more robust process?

No experience with the newer machines, but we machine 4 axis almost daily, ranging from 5-15deg without issues....

I'm guessing it has more control/sensitivity on the bigger angles, I don't really know yet.

Congratulations on your new machine! I'm sure you'll love it! We just got a new VL600Q and it's a great machine, a big step up from my old AP500 Sodick. How's the support in Pa? Support here is excellent!

We have one of these machines. Its a great machine. We have 2 other older Sodicks, AG600L and a AQ750L. We do alot of tall parts so they both have the 60 amp high speed generator. The ALN roughs just as fast and skims faster. Its gives a better finish with 2 skims than the other machines do with 4 skims.

Taper flex gives extremely accurate taper and 4 axis burns. We cut up to 35 degrees so we have the high taper Ruby guides as well.

The best part is the Auto Threader. Its works really good. We do .020" start holes. The older machines have a hard time threading but the ALN has no issues at all threading. It also threads submerged at the wire break point instead of returning to the thread point.

You'll be happy with it!!

Taper Flex is a combination of software and a measuring jig. The machine uses the jig to measure the exact pivot point on the guides for a specific angle. It can be used for up to 22 degrees with the standard guides or up to 45 degrees with the Ruby Taper guides.

View attachment 286710

We have one of these machines. Its a great machine. We have 2 other older Sodicks, AG600L and a AQ750L. We do alot of tall parts so they both have the 60 amp high speed generator. The ALN roughs just as fast and skims faster. Its gives a better finish with 2 skims than the other machines do with 4 skims.

Taper flex gives extremely accurate taper and 4 axis burns. We cut up to 35 degrees so we have the high taper Ruby guides as well.

The best part is the Auto Threader. Its works really good. We do .020" start holes. The older machines have a hard time threading but the ALN has no issues at all threading. It also threads submerged at the wire break point instead of returning to the thread point.

That's great to hear!I have some jobs coming that i have to hole pop 96 start holes that will probably be .020 - .030. I'm pretty excited for it to get here.

And greggv, I'm in NWPA and our service/support has always been great, no complaints.

The new wire is running and you were right. This machine is awesome and the threader is great, such an improvement from the older models.

That's great to hear!I have some jobs coming that i have to hole pop 96 start holes that will probably be .020 - .030. I'm pretty excited for it to get here.

And greggv, I'm in NWPA and our service/support has always been great, no complaints.

How deep are your .02" holes? Will probably be faster to drill them if they aren't super deep.

https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/00902767

We use these circuit board drills all the time for aluminum. We go from .006"-.028" diameters... 10-20x deep...

How deep are your .02" holes? Will probably be faster to drill them if they aren't super deep.

https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/00902767

We use these circuit board drills all the time for aluminum. We go from .006"-.028" diameters... 10-20x deep...

I have 4 plates at 1.0in thick Rc58-60 , i'm using a .4mm electrode to hole pop a start hole to then finish on the wire. Hole finishes at .029 ±.0005. Regardless it's not much fun.

We just got our ALN600G setup last week. Still waiting for training to be scheduled. I'm excited to try it out.

@jz814 Were you able to get this on your network? I can see it on ours, just don't know the user name or password.

We just got our ALN600G setup last week. Still waiting for training to be scheduled. I'm excited to try it out.

@jz814 Were you able to get this on your network? I can see it on ours, just don't know the user name or password.

@donl517

Congratulations on the new wire, it's a really nice machine. Connecting them is always fun, your Network Login Username should be "rasperson" and try "enkaku" for the password ( set as ref. password at the factory).
Go to "Settings" then "SEIKA net" and then down to page 5. The Username might already be there just needs the password.

See if that helps you, let me know if you have any other questions about it.

Thanks, That got me in! Much appreciated.

No problem glad to help.
Do you have any other Sodick wires? I also have AQ537L and it's a world of difference on the ALN, hate to say it but I am still getting adjusted on the ALN compared to how I run AQ537L.

Back