What's new
What's new

Great Lakes Oil Company GLOC Syn EDM+ Dielectric

jhov

Cast Iron
I will soon be acquiring my first sinker EDM machine and need a dielectric fluid. I've read that Commonwealth Oil EDM-244 and IONOPLUS IME-MH are the popular choices, but I haven't found any nearby and freight for 55 gal is around $500. I came across the GLOC brand which is sold somewhat close for a reasonable cost including freight, but I haven't been able to find any feedback on it. Has anyone had experience with it?

GLOC Syn EDM+ Dielectric

I will soon be acquiring my first sinker EDM machine and need a dielectric fluid. I've read that Commonwealth Oil EDM-244 and IONOPLUS IME-MH are the popular choices, but I haven't found any nearby and freight for 55 gal is around $500. I came across the GLOC brand which is sold somewhat close for a reasonable cost including freight, but I haven't been able to find any feedback on it. Has anyone had experience with it?

GLOC Syn EDM+ Dielectric

Try reaching out to Reladyne; They distribute many different major lines (Mobil, Shell, Phillips66, etc...) and have their own high quality line of products.

Thanks for the info. Even with a local distributor EDM-244 is $300 more. It's a drop in the bucket compared to all the other costs, but is there really $300 difference between the two fluids?

jhov,

The Commonwealth EDM-244 is an excellent fluid, but I HIGHLY RECOMMEND moving up to a full synthetic fluid such as Commonwealth SuperSupreme. Any conventional mineral-based EDM fluid (such as 244) will have a limited and specific useful lifespan. Think of conventional EDM fluid like a Gallon of Milk...while Milk is still Milk after its expiration date, the operator/user experience with spoiled Milk can be horrible! :D

To make the connection...conventional EDM fluids will degrade and change their di-electric characteristics over time, and this fluid breakdown and spoilage (like Milk) will occur in time regardless to how often the machine is used. As conventional EDM fluids age, the machining stability degrades as a result of the fluid no longer acting like a proper insulator for the EDM process. This fluid breakdown results in degradation of machining accuracy, rougher surface finish and/or surface imperfections, and longer cycle times. Unlike Wine, conventional EDM fluids DO NOT age gracefully with time...they often darken in color, create a distinct and not so nice odor, and can cause operator skin issues and irritation....all BAD things! I have personally seen severely aged EDM fluid contribute to increases of cycle times in the range of x3 to x4 time longer! To put this a different way, what do you think the performance and efficiency of your car or truck would be with oil that has 100,000 miles on it?

A key benefit of switching to a full synthetic EDM fluid is that these fluids do not breakdown or lose their di-electric strength properties over time. In most cases, a full synthetic EDM fluid should be considered a one-time purchase, as the fluid does not need to be replaced long term. You will pay a 20~30% Price Premium to upgrade to a full synthetic EDM fluid over conventional mineral-based oils, but you will realize a long-term savings benefit of eliminating the need to replace the fluid, realize consistent machining performance, and most importantly provide greater health safety to the operator.

-Brian

jhov,

The Commonwealth EDM-244 is an excellent fluid, but I HIGHLY RECOMMEND moving up to a full synthetic fluid such as Commonwealth SuperSupreme. Any conventional mineral-based EDM fluid (such as 244) will have a limited and specific useful lifespan. Think of conventional EDM fluid like a Gallon of Milk...while Milk is still Milk after its expiration date, the operator/user experience with spoiled Milk can be horrible! :D

To make the connection...conventional EDM fluids will degrade and change their di-electric characteristics over time, and this fluid breakdown and spoilage (like Milk) will occur in time regardless to how often the machine is used. As conventional EDM fluids age, the machining stability degrades as a result of the fluid no longer acting like a proper insulator for the EDM process. This fluid breakdown results in degradation of machining accuracy, rougher surface finish and/or surface imperfections, and longer cycle times. Unlike Wine, conventional EDM fluids DO NOT age gracefully with time...they often darken in color, create a distinct and not so nice odor, and can cause operator skin issues and irritation....all BAD things! I have personally seen severely aged EDM fluid contribute to increases of cycle times in the range of x3 to x4 time longer! To put this a different way, what do you think the performance and efficiency of your car or truck would be with oil that has 100,000 miles on it?

A key benefit of switching to a full synthetic EDM fluid is that these fluids do not breakdown or lose their di-electric strength properties over time. In most cases, a full synthetic EDM fluid should be considered a one-time purchase, as the fluid does not need to be replaced long term. You will pay a 20~30% Price Premium to upgrade to a full synthetic EDM fluid over conventional mineral-based oils, but you will realize a long-term savings benefit of eliminating the need to replace the fluid, realize consistent machining performance, and most importantly provide greater health safety to the operator.

-Brian

I was under the impression EDM-244 was a full synthetic. Maybe I'm confusing it with another. I guess that makes it a no brainer then. The GLOC in the original post is a full synthetic and is the best priced of the options I'm aware of. I think I'll give it a try. Thanks.

GLOC Syn EDM+ Dielectric
Did you ever purchase the GLOC Syn EDM+ Dielectric. How did it work?

I need to purchase a 55 gallon drum for my EDM It seems to be the cheapest fully synthetic dielectric fluid.

I am a current IONOPLUS user, but getting quotes over $2K for a drum

I'm in the same boat, i need new EDM oil. ever give that oil a try? I see Rustlick 72055 EDM-500 out there, i'm not sure what EDM oil brand to go with.​

Nope, it's still sealed and sitting in the corner. It's about last on my list of priorities until I can find an injection molding machine.

Back