What's new
What's new

Gun Barrel Porting - RAM EDM

coyotebgone

Aluminum
Will a 20amp sinker work porting rifle barrels?

I am surmising that a RAM EDM would do a much better job porting a barrel than my VMC.

My shop is a job shop. I was trying to find an opinion on the size of EDM, a used machine, lower dollar, that is still maintainable (like a Fadal VMC).

Anything I need to be aware of that is problematic with these types of machines.

Thank you for your time.

Last edited:
Hi coyotebgone:
You wrote:
"I am surmising that a RAM EDM would do a much better job porting a barrel than my VMC."

So why do you believe this to be true?
Sinker EDM can do some amazing things but that ability comes at a significant cost.
It is slow, it is expensive, it is noisy and messy, and it's typically no more accurate than milling unless you have a specific kind of geometry to make that would require an exceptionally long and skinny cutter.

The few barrels I've ported or made flash suppressors or muzzle brakes for have not required any geometry that could not easily be milled, so I'm puzzled by your assertion.
Even the notion that sinker EDM is a burr free process is not true at the microscopic level, so I cannot see an advantage to EDM for this task unless you're planning to do something unusual.
Is this the case?

Cheers

Marcus
Implant Mechanix • Design & Innovation > HOME
Vancouver Wire EDM -- Wire EDM Machining

Round porting holes are easy to achieve. My questions is really related to narrow long ports, like magnaport. Every time I attempt this I get a hole that is close to perfect, but not perfect due to wondering mill. Is there a mill made that is more rigid?

Back