What's new
What's new

Hard Brass Wire Distributor with inventory in Colorado?

Wade C

Stainless
I dont go through a lot of wire - so I cant really stock up on wire without it sitting for a long time (and have had some issues that may have been related to time spent sitting according to the supplier of that wire). Of course everything is getting more and more expensive... including shipping... Its to the point that on a 4 roll case of wire, the shipping equates to 22-25 bucks a roll.

For that kind of money, it seems logical to me, that I should at least look at the local options. Worst case, I might have to go pick up there when I was in the area, and best case, they might have a salesman that is in my area now and again, and could bring it out.

My web searches have not been all that helpful... so thought I would ask here, if anyone knew of a stocking distributor in Colorado, and even better if in Denver or North or East of Denver.

I have an email out to Hartwig to see what they carry in Denver, but wondering if there are more places out there.

Thanks

have you tried Atlas Metal Sales? they are in Denver. we get silicon bronze sheet from them, they don't seem to list wrought brass products on the website, just casting ingot, but its worth a call.

Nothing should go wrong with hard brass over time - just keep it in the box with the silica gel packets, and make sure not to turn them on their ends.

The problems I had with one brand was with the wire overlapping itself on the spool down at about the 1/2 spool mark - the first half was fine, the second half... yeah, no and it was 4 different spools of the same wire, and a couple different spools from same manf but different wire. Vendor said it can do that over time. Spools were about a year old. Had other spools from another vendor that had an age unknown on one spool, and the others were only a few months old. The spool of unknown age was junk and left brass dust all over the upper guide (first one the wire enters from the pulleys) and would plug and break wire there... the known age spools were fine.

Not saying age is the cause for either... but manf of both said age was a concern in both situations. So hard to want to let a bunch of money in wire sit for a year or two and risk it.

have you tried Atlas Metal Sales? they are in Denver. we get silicon bronze sheet from them, they don't seem to list wrought brass products on the website, just casting ingot, but its worth a call.
Gave em a try.. they didnt have any wire products. Thanks for the suggestion!
Wade

Have you tried SST?
For some reason I thought they offer free shipping ....
I know I got it free, but it's possible that it is due to the fact that I am a Makino customer AND the warehouse is here in CT.

( Sidenote: Cannot fathom not having local access to a full line of EDM consumables. They are either heavy - Wire, or bulky - Filters.
We in Central CT are absolutely blessed! First there was Kern EDM Supplies, then it became Global EDM supplies and it's now SST. Full warehouse with everything but Makino spares.
And then there is also Electrodes Inc in southern CT that stocks )

Thats who I had been using for the last several years... No longer doing free shipping. Went from around 318 a case to my door to around 426. They are good folks, and I like their wire... but 22 bucks a spool for shipping is tough. But if I cant find a local supplier Ill just stay with them. Just looking at options. Hard to swallow a 25% increase since my last order in December, and almost all of that is in shipping costs.

For the record...this is the proper way to store unused wire so that is does not slip on the spool and get wrapped underneath itself. It's even better is you can keep the wire covered too to prevent undue contamination and oxidation!

Wire Spool Storage.jpg

- Brian

Yes sir, thats how I store it, and I think I always have - but its been a long time since the very first rolls, which came with a machine, and I cant say how those were stored. But there is always the chance that those ones I got later, that worked up under themselves spent some time on their ends instead of their sides and I didnt know/remember back then.

Maybe Ill have to do a "scientific experiment" and get a roll and set it aside for a year and see... I dunno...

Thanks

if you are hurting because of 25 bucks a roll, you aren't charging enough, by a LOT! :D
Hehehe :D If I was a real edm shop Im sure it would be different. But for the limited wire work I do on making my own products - everything adds up... Nope, its not end of the world at 25 bucks a spool in shipping... I could probably add 5 bucks a part to the price and cover it and hopefully not shoot myself in the foot sales wise.

It probably doesnt help that I have one vendor that has negotiated a great rate with UPS, and they ship 60-70lb boxes for 1/3 of that... Guess the shippers gotta make up for their deals they give somewhere.

Back